Rhonda B
Rhonda B
  • Muscatine, IA

From Pallet to Wall Planters

I had a blank wall that needed something so I turned a small pallet into these wall planters and it was easier than you think!
from pallet to wall planters, diy, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, Blank ugly wall
Blank ugly wall
from pallet to wall planters, diy, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, Wall after I hung my planters
Wall after I hung my planters
Here is what you need:
1. A small pallet
2. A hammer
3. Something to pry out the nails (I reused them)
4. Scrap wood that you have handy
5. A few extra nails or screws
6. Paint
from pallet to wall planters, diy, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
First, pry out the nails and remove the two middle boards.
from pallet to wall planters, diy, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, First board removed
First board removed
from pallet to wall planters, diy, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, Both middle boards removed
Both middle boards removed
Second, reattach the boards you removed placing them next to the boards that are still in place like this:
Third, cut the 2x4's right up against the boards you just nailed into place-you will have 6 cuts to remove the excess wood.
This is what you will end up with:
Fourth, take scrap wood and attach to the bottom (measure if necessary). I used cedar shakes for this.
from pallet to wall planters, diy, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, Attaching wood to bottom
Attaching wood to bottom
Here they are before I painted them:
Fifth, paint them. I used Rustoleum 2in1 with primer and painted them 3 times.
Here they are all painted:
Last, but not least, hang and plant them. I lined them landscape fabric to keep the dirt from running out and down my wall.
All done! The wall looks much better now, doesn't it? This project was easy and cheap! The only cost was for a few nails that I used to attach the bottom and a can of spray paint. To see more visit my blog at:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 13, 2018 11:28 PM - More info
Rhonda B

• Terry Lynn

This is great, I definitely want to try this too. But I have the same question, how do you attach them to the wall?

Thank you

• Sheila Basham

Very nice!! I'm just curious as to how it's going with watering the plants. How does it not run out?

• Jenny Dewes

Ceaver idea 😁 I'm definitely going to try making some. How did you attach them to the brick? I have brick also.