From Pallet to Wall Planters

I had a blank wall that needed something so I turned a small pallet into these wall planters and it was easier than you think!
Blank ugly wall
Wall after I hung my planters
Here is what you need:
1. A small pallet
2. A hammer
3. Something to pry out the nails (I reused them)
4. Scrap wood that you have handy
5. A few extra nails or screws
6. Paint
First, pry out the nails and remove the two middle boards.
First board removed
Both middle boards removed
Second, reattach the boards you removed placing them next to the boards that are still in place like this:
Third, cut the 2x4's right up against the boards you just nailed into place-you will have 6 cuts to remove the excess wood.
This is what you will end up with:
Fourth, take scrap wood and attach to the bottom (measure if necessary). I used cedar shakes for this.
Attaching wood to bottom
Here they are before I painted them:
Fifth, paint them. I used Rustoleum 2in1 with primer and painted them 3 times.
Here they are all painted:
Last, but not least, hang and plant them. I lined them landscape fabric to keep the dirt from running out and down my wall.
All done! The wall looks much better now, doesn't it? This project was easy and cheap! The only cost was for a few nails that I used to attach the bottom and a can of spray paint. To see more visit my blog at:

Rhonda B

• Sheila Basham

Very nice!! I'm just curious as to how it's going with watering the plants. How does it not run out?

• Catherine

Water will definitely run out. You can try to put a tray inside that drains out the front, away from your wall.

• Jenny Dewes

Ceaver idea 😁 I'm definitely going to try making some. How did you attach them to the brick? I have brick also.

Jenny, you can drill a couple of holes in the back of the pallet, position the pallet on the wall where you want it to hang, level it, trace out the hole pattern, then using a cement drill bit drill the traced holes slightly longer than the wall anchors. Insert wall anchors by hammering them in then attach screws thru holes in pallet into the anchors in wall. Very simple and should consume no more than 1/2 an hour.

Good luck, William

• Kristin Sater Takasawa

Where on earth did you find a tiny pallet like that?

• Suzanne Bacskai

I work in an office block where my neighbor is a photocopier dealer. The new machines are delivered on small pallets like a this. He always has problems getting rid of packaging material. I asked him if I could take them. He was thrilled.

I was going to use them for planting herbs, lettuce, spinach, etc. But after this project I’ve change my mind. This looks so pretty, I must try them 😁