Screen Your Porch in 3 Easy Steps ...

When we purchased this house, the porches were still in their original construction state. The wood had never been treated or painted. As much as we both love the look of natural wood, it didn't really coordinate with the look and feel of the house. We started our makeover by staining the posts, skirt and decking.
Now it's time to install the screen. As with any project of this nature, the first section is always the hardest and most time-consuming, but by the time you get to the end you've worked out all the kinks and are ready to screen the whole neighborhood. One person could do it, but it would be a lot easier with a couple of extra hands.
We did this over one weekend. Saturday morning we purchased all of the materials, installed the base strips, and completed one section. On Sunday we started back up after church and finished off the rest of the sections and added the cap.
Click through to the blogpost for a detailed DIY tutorial with tips and tricks for installing your porch screen.
screen your porch in 3 easy steps, curb appeal, diy, how to, porches
Supplies are fairly minimal ...
Base strips, cap strips, screen, spline, roller, screws, screwdriver, mallet
STEP 1 ... Install the base strips.
Start with the horizontals ... top and bottom. Then install the verticals.
STEP 2 ... Attach the screen.
Start at the top and work your way down, fully completing each screened section before starting the next.
STEP 3 ... Attach the cap.
This is the finishing touch ... the "cover-up."
And that's it! Now you have a beautiful screened porch to enjoy.
Simply Fresh Vintage

• Tom Maynard

I need a ceiling as well. Probably 18' w by 8' deep. Miss sitting out in the rain and of course all the cushions get soaked. I'm happy with a simple ceiling cover. Any idea of cost?

• Cindy

I have 10 ft. Openings, between each beam. That is where I don’t know what to do.

• Stargazer65

We also would like to build a screen room on our deck. However, we need to build a roof. We had estimates done & what we have been quoted should have given us a whole room addition.

We are DIY when we can. What would you recommend for our situation?

Thank you for your time.

Midwest Living

• Debbie

• Terry

Thank you! I also am dying for a screen porch! But I have large round pillars in my way that are not all the way on the concrete slab of the existing patio. Maybe a challenge but I’m no quitter! Lol