DIY Alcohol Ink Coasters and Light Switch Covers

What you need
Materials:
• Glossy white tiles (use 4-by-4 inch tiles for coasters or larger tiles for display) and/or light switch covers.
• Adirondack Alcohol Inks. These come in packs of three; I used two packs.
• Rubbing alcohol.
• Mod Podge aerosol finisher.
• Acrylic paint for the edges of the coasters.
• Two paintbrushes: one for the rubbing alcohol and one for the acrylic paint.
• Rubber or latex gloves.
• Felt pads for the bottoms of the coasters.
• Plastic bags, newspaper or cardboard to protect work surface.
In my research of alcohol inks, I discovered that protecting any surface that you don’t want dyed is essential – including but not limited to your work surface and skin, unless you want to be an unnatural shade for a week.

Therefore, at home I laid out plastic bags and newspapers and put on rubber gloves prior to starting my project. I also opened a window to allow for proper ventilation.
"Painting" the tiles:
I decided that I wanted to do the tiles first to see how the inks worked, so I laid them out on cardboard and scrap cloth. Next I painted the tiles with the rubbing alcohol. Then I began dripping ink on the tiles.
Learning from mistakes:
I must say that watching those inks spread is fascinating. I found that it is better to start with lighter colors if you want them to show through. I did two sets of six with one set in a warmer color scheme and the other in a cooler color scheme. I was really anxious to finish them, so I sprayed the warmer set with the finisher too early and it moved some of the ink. It was an interesting effect but not what I was going for.
Finished product
I repeated this process with the light switch covers with a similar effect. I discovered that if you don’t apply the rubbing alcohol first, the colors are more opaque. I also discovered that the colors do not move as easily without the use of rubbing alcohol, but you can achieve a different effect by blowing the ink with air through a straw. These made great gifts for my friends and family! They could even make a great Mother’s Day gift as well.

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

2 of 15 comments
Next