Creating A Space Dividing Wall With Wire Rope

$100

In our previous home we had a half wall which divided the kitchen from the Livingroom. It was hard to keep clean because everyone would sit on it or place items on it.
Well, one day discussing it with my husband, we decided to do something about it. It had to go. Originally, we thought about dividing the spaces with glass but for some reason ($$$$$$) we decided against it. My husband likes to cook while enjoying his favorite show on TV, so we had to come up with something that would divide the spaces yet afford a clear view to the Livingroom.
After a few ideas back and forth, we agreed on one and I went upstairs to shower. When I returned, this is what I found:
My husband, a hammer and a demolished wall! In other words, “no turning back now” We had to figure out a plan.
This Is how the half Wall used to look like:
When we removed the wall, we could see the foundation. This was a great anchor spot to secure the base of our box which would encase our wire rope divider. We used 1”x 6” to make the bottom of the box and anchored it to the foundation. Then we used 2”x 6” to support the top. We recreated this box on the ceiling making sure to anchor it to the trusses. We drilled the wood to accommodate the wire rope spacing it evenly.
We left both sides open so we could work with the wire rope.
We repeated this box up top. Drilled exactly like the bottom one so we could thread the wire rope through.
Time to cut the wire. We measured then cut them making sure we had enough at the bottom and top so we could make them tight.
We inserted the wire rope through the holes and secured them with u-clamps. This is what they look like.
After that, we covered the sides with 1”x 6” wood (same as the base and top).

To give it a more finished look I placed washers covering the holes through which the wire was threaded and glued them in place.
And this is our space dividing wall using wire rope. Hope you like it!!
To see more projects like this (for example what I did on the back wall with the white floating cabinet for the tv) press HERE )

DIY Tutoriales y mucho más

• Jennifer Goodman Newberry

So open concept not your cup of tea?

• DIY Tutoriales y mucho más

Oh, it really is, but the space was designed for a small breakfast nook, that really didn't fit and made the space a little awkward. This solution made the division clear, yet affording an "open" space.

• Mariana Bonilla

I would love to have ir not in gray wire but copper;I don't know whether it can be done and ir a copper wire could be the same

• Carma

Just wondering why the pony wall and column were there in the first place. Are you sure the post/column weren't load bearing?