Stringer Planters... It's Tough Getting Old :)

38K Views
I have the worst knees any human being could ever have, but Love gardening... So I thought since you can't afford to do raised garden beds just yet, what else could you do. And Voila! I made these. It's so easy, and the pots actually remove so I can take them over to my potting bench, dead head, repair, replant them, whatever I want when ever I want without being crippled after a few minutes! I absolutely love them! What'dya think?
Time: 4 HoursCost: $32Difficulty: Easy
  • stringer planters it s tough getting old, diy, flowers, gardening, outdoor living, raised garden beds, woodworking projects
Nope, no more feeling crippled after gardening! :)
I bought four ~ 4 step stair stringers from Home Depot for $20.00. They're pressure treated so they should last for some time. I had green outdoor paint, and painted them. I measured the size pots I had on hand and set the stringers to that exact measurement. Then attached 2 - 2x3 boards to the back of each one straight up and down and then 2 cross pieces to keep them stable. I forgot to take pictures as I went along... Sorry, I was very excited. LoL
I had these long planters in black with the trays attached. So I drilled holes thru the box and tray. Then I attached the tray to the stringer with a screw and washer. Leaving the actual planter free and ready to be removed if and when I wanted to remove them.
As you can see, I didn't paint the cross bars because I wanted them to have a weathered look and blend in with the lattice behind it :) I then filled them 1/2 with soil and 1/2 with Miracle-GroMoisture Control Potting Mix which cost me $12.00. I love anything and everything from Miracle-Gro!
And here they are in the garden! I couldn't wait for Mother's day to get here! Our planting zone starts on Mother's day and I was so excited I could barely sleep waiting for it to get here! In the top two boxes are flowers I started from seeds, and they're so much happier now that they're in there real home. I'm praying they grow big and beautiful!
I still have work to do, but this makes me AND my knees sooo happy!

Suggested materials for this project: