Amy Ogden-Paparone
Amy Ogden-Paparone
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Pottstown, PA

Stringer Planters... It's Tough Getting Old :)

$32

I have the worst knees any human being could ever have, but Love gardening... So I thought since you can't afford to do raised garden beds just yet, what else could you do. And Voila! I made these. It's so easy, and the pots actually remove so I can take them over to my potting bench, dead head, repair, replant them, whatever I want when ever I want without being crippled after a few minutes! I absolutely
stringer planters it s tough getting old, diy, flowers, gardening, outdoor living, raised garden beds, woodworking projects
Nope, no more feeling crippled after gardening! :)
I bought four ~ 4 step stair stringers from Home Depot for $20.00. They're pressure treated so they should last for some time. I had green outdoor paint, and painted them. I measured the size pots I had on hand and set the stringers to that exact measurement. Then attached 2 - 2x3 boards to the back of each one straight up and down and then 2 cross pieces to keep them stable. I forgot to take pictures as I went along... Sorry, I was very excited. LoL
I had these long planters in black with the trays attached. So I drilled holes thru the box and tray. Then I attached the tray to the stringer with a screw and washer. Leaving the actual planter free and ready to be removed if and when I wanted to remove them.
As you can see, I didn't paint the cross bars because I wanted them to have a weathered look and blend in with the lattice behind it :) I then filled them 1/2 with soil and 1/2 with Miracle-GroMoisture Control Potting Mix which cost me $12.00. I love anything and everything from Miracle-Gro!
And here they are in the garden! I couldn't wait for Mother's day to get here! Our planting zone starts on Mother's day and I was so excited I could barely sleep waiting for it to get here! In the top two boxes are flowers I started from seeds, and they're so much happier now that they're in there real home. I'm praying they grow big and beautiful!
I still have work to do, but this makes me AND my knees sooo happy!

• Louise Wortman

Sorry some how I got lost on this planter idea. What is a stringer!? How did you attaché but still be removable? I love this and think I could make them very mid century modern looking for the front of our “new” house!! Thank you!

• Louise Wortman

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Hi Louise :)The side pieces of this are called stair stringers, they come pre-cut from Lowe's or Home Depot and you can get them any size you want. As for them being attached yet removable, I purchased the planters with a draining tray. So I attached the tray to the "stringer" which to us would look like a step :) and then all I had to do was place the actual pot on each one. It makes it so easy if you want to plant annuals, as you can just pick the pot up, take it to your potting table and arrange them the way you want, then just plop them right back. They're not even heavy. If you plant perennials it's just so much easier to weed then getting on your hands and knees. Hope this helped! Posted a pic below.

• Louise Wortman