Vintage Doily Banner

$10

Here is a fun, easy way to use and display vintage doilies and vintage linens, even ones that are damaged or stained!
vintage doily banner
All you need are doilies or linens (you could even use new ones if that's your style!) and wide, single fold bias tape.
vintage doily banner
I just happened to find six of the same doilies but again, mismatched ones would be perfect! I cut these into two pieces, creating one larger and one smaller half.
vintage doily banner
These doilies were attached to each other creating two large, medallion type doilies so I simply cut the medallions apart.
vintage doily banner
Using an iron, fold your bias tape in half and press, creating a place to tuck the raw edges of your doilies or linen pieces.
vintage doily banner
Pin the raw edges of your doilies in between the fold of the bias tape and get ready to sew. (NOTE: You could also use hot glue or a product called Stitch Witchery so if you don't sew . . . you can STILL make this project!)
vintage doily banner
If sewing, stitch close to the bottom edge so that you are sure to catch in all of the little edges of the doilies.
vintage doily banner
I chose to use a small zig-zag stitch so all of those little pieces were caught neatly inside the tape.
vintage doily banner
I alternated the medallions with a large then a small colored doily piece.
vintage doily banner
I chose to add mine over our bed for a 'summery' touch but you could certainly use these anywhere!
vintage doily banner
Depending on the colors you choose, you could even do these for different holidays. If you're using vintage linens, it's especially easy to find linens with Christmas patterns that you can cut up to make a banner.
vintage doily banner
Whatever you choose for your banner, it's a simple project and a wonderful way to preserve the lovely, vintage linens of days gone by!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 13, 2018 10:46 PM - More info
Lauren Z