Dark Gray Painted Door

For the past several months, I have been seeing so many examples of beautifully painted black interior doors, and I decided that I possibly wanted to give it a shot. I love how a painted door can make simple builder grade doors look more custom.
dark gray painted door, doors, foyer, home decor, painting
So I thought about it for a while, went back and forth looking a different pictures of painted doors, and decided that instead of black, I would go with something a tad bit softer. After looking at several samples, I decided on Thunder Gray by Sherwin Williams, which is a latex paint. It's the perfect dark & stormy color, and goes on in a deep gray/ brown color.
During the painting process...
After the first coat. I did a total of 3 coats to get the best coverage and ensure durability.
After I finished, I decided to paint my coat closet door as well. The white door next to the dark seemed off.
Here is a view at glace in my foyer...
So happy that I curbed my fear and painted my doors. I love the look that the darker doors add to the entryway. A few times I had to look at the door twice because the darkness gives the appearance that the door is open. I still do it from time to time, but I have gotten used to it.
This project is easy and can be done in a few hours, as you have to allow dry time in between each coat.

Live Pretty on a Penny

• Jackie

Did my front door black about a year ago, love the look. Thanks for the post!

• Louise

Don't you need to paint the side of the door that you see when you open it? If so, how do you manage to paint it and let it dry -- do you just leave the door open while it's drying? Or do you leave that the old color? What if the door's been painted before and that part would truly NEED to be painted? I love your finished doors!