What is this box in my kitchen cabinet?

This box is in my kitchen cabinet next to the fridge.

The two writings on the box say "Fuses Inside/ use type 3 AB 15 AMP, 3 AB 20 AMP, or similar 250 volt replacement." and "Caution: replace fuse with same type and rating".
Is this related to the fridge function? And what is its purpose (I haven't seen a fuse box like this next to the fridge anywhere else)?


q what is this box in my kitchen cabinet
  7 answers
  • AmAtHome AmAtHome on May 14, 2018
    What is the other item in the picture? As far as I know, any fuses, etc are normally actually inside the appliance itself.
    • Linda Linda on May 14, 2018
      The other item appears to be a heat probe for a microwave. my old one had one.
  • AmAtHome AmAtHome on May 14, 2018
    Was there any other appliances in that area? And do you know where that tube leads to?
    • Rosie Rosie on May 14, 2018
      No, it's just an empty cabinet with the fuse box in there and I don't know where that tube leads to (I guessed maybe to the fridge but maybe not). I guess I have to have an electrician over to be sure what the purpose of that fuse box is.
  • William William on May 14, 2018
    Not the fridge. Refrigerators operate on 120V. Do you have an electric range? They operate on 220V. Otherwise I see no real reason for it. You may need an electrician to trace what is connected to it. If you or someone you know has worked with electricity they can check it out for you.
    • Rosie Rosie on May 14, 2018
      No, I have gas stove. I wonder if the fuse in the fridge stopped working property and because the fridge is built-in and they didn't/couldn't replace or repair it they put an external fuse in there. But don't know why the fuse is 220v if as you said fridges operate on 120v. Maybe to be extra cautious? Anyways might have to have an electrician look at it and tell me what's the fuse box's purpose. Thanks.
  • Teacup8885 Teacup8885 on May 14, 2018
    Probably n empty extra box.
  • William William on May 14, 2018
    Fridges don't have fuses in them. They are tied into a circuit/fuse box. Wine cooler, warming drawers, electric dryer, portable AC unit? Just taking guesses. It's a strange thing. I would say have an electrician take a look at it. My experience I would have no problem tracing and finding what it's for. I would be very interested what it's for.
  • AmAtHome AmAtHome on May 14, 2018
    It reminds me of the old box where a hood vent/fan had been in our kitchen. Does that tube have wires that go somewhere that you can see? I'm sure you'd probably want to remove it if you knew it wasn't doing anything any more!
  • Flipturn Flipturn on May 18, 2018
    What you have is a small sub-panel. My guess as to what it is for is the same as AmAtHome's. As it has fuses and not breakers, that alone says it is quite old. It is not powerful enough to run a stove. A previous occupant likely had an older hard-wired microwave with a fan, and they built the cupboard around this existing subpanel box when they renovated rather than having it disconected and removed properly. As neither the end of the wire or the connections are visible in the photo, I would advise you to proceed with caution. Get a qualified electrician to remove it.