Corner Wooden Shelf

$50

It started with my daughter who got a new desk for her birthday. She loves doing art. Since the table didn't come with a chair I went for a hunt. I have found this cute, cool ,comfortable chair at Marshalls on sale.

corner wooden shelf
Loved the wood design in the back of the chair. This was my inspiration piece for the project.
corner wooden shelf
Here's the L-shaped wooden shelf glued together. At this point, it's just 2 planks glued end-to-end.
corner wooden shelf
Two L-shapes would make one shelf. You connect them with boards in between and leave them hollow.
corner wooden shelf
I made 2 shelves to fit in the space above the desk.
corner wooden shelf
Here's how it looks from the front after it's all put together.
corner wooden shelf
From the back, or the inside, you can tell that it's hollow. This is important for the hanging method.
corner wooden shelf
Here they are on the wall and loaded up with stuff. I made 2 sets of 2 shelves since she is short on storage and she has too many books.
corner wooden shelf
I put some lights under the shelves so that she can read on her chair at the desk.
corner wooden shelf
Remember I said the shelves were hollow? This is the whole support that holds the shelves up. This structure is very sturdy for these light shelves.
corner wooden shelf
Installing them is easy -- just push each shelf on securely. Fits like glove!

• Peggy lent

You stated she had a lot of books in need of a home. Don’t see a lot of books on the shelf. Can it withstand the weigh of several books ?

• Monika O

Yes it can. One of the reason that we made it corner shelf. It has the extra support because of the corner. Remember the support is the most important. The shelf itself doesn’t give much. About the support make sure that they are secured not only to the drywall but to the studs.

I am not sure if you were doing only straight shelves how much weight it can handle.

Her books not on the shelves yet since it takes time for the polyurethane to dry completely.

• Rena Noele

Did I miss the construction of the support process? They look like 2 x 2's to me. Have I guessed correctly?

• Monika O

No. A 2x4 ripped down to fit snugly inside the cavity. Generally 2x2 are not very straight

• Patsy Silver

How did you connect the wood that slides,into the shelf. Did you use screws and wood glue

• Monika O

You meant the shelf itself on to the support on the wall?

If so, I did not use any screws since they were pretty snug to slide them on but you can screw the shelf on to the support system. Probably better for safety reasons. My daughter is old enough to not to hang on the shelf