DIY Large Farmhouse Planter

$100

I have a pygmy date palm that is outgrowing the cheap planter that I had it in so my project for last weekend was to design a build a new planter for my cute little palm tree. Below is an abbreviated description of how I built this planter, for full building instructions and more detailed pictures, visit my blog at the link at the bottom of this post.
diy large farmhouse planter
First, I cut the 2x4 boards for the planter bottom and attached them using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
diy large farmhouse planter
I then cut the 2x4 boards to build the side panels. These were each mitered to 10 degrees at each end, and then assembled the panels with the shortest boards at the bottom and the longest boards on top. I created four panels, one for each side of the planter.
diy large farmhouse planter
I then attached the side panels to the bottom panel using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
diy large farmhouse planter
diy large farmhouse planter
Once all four side panels were attached, I cut the 2x4 trim pieces for the planter sides. I then attached the trim pieces using wood glue and 2 1/2 exterior wood screws.
diy large farmhouse planter
Next, I cut the planter top trim pieces and attached using wood glue and 2 1/2 exterior wood screws.
diy large farmhouse planter
I then added the 1x4 boards for the bottom trim pieces and attached using wood glue and my finish nail gun.
diy large farmhouse planter
I then cut 2x4 boards to create the feet and attached using wood glue and exterior wood screws.
diy large farmhouse planter
I then filled all holes with wood filler. Once dry, I sanded the planter and then added my favorite weathered wood accelerator to the side panel boards.
diy large farmhouse planter
I then taped off the stained boards and painted the remainder of the planter white.
diy large farmhouse planter
Once the paint and stain were completely dry, I coated the planter in three coats of exterior polyurethane and let dry completely.
diy large farmhouse planter
Once the planter was completely dry, I add potting soil and my pygmy date palm and moved it onto my back deck to enjoy!
diy large farmhouse planter
diy large farmhouse planter

• 2x4 redwood  (Home Depot)
  • 1x4 redwood  (Home Depot)
Pinspired to DIY

2 questions on this project