Revamping Patio Chairs

13K Views
The other day I was given two old patio chairs by a friend who didn't want them anymore as they had rusted very badly and she wanted to purchase some smaller chairs for her balcony as she doesn't have that much space. She knew I could revamp them and that we had plenty of space for them around our villa, so gave them to me.
Time: 2 DaysCost: $0Difficulty: Easy
  • revamping pation chairs
First of all I gave the chairs a fairly good sanding

• revamping pation chairs
Then I masked off the front and and back of the chairs by laying newspaper all along the fabric with masking tape. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of this
  • revamping pation chairs
Another close-up of the rust that was on the chairs - you can see that they were quite bad with rust!
  • revamping pation chairs
And... another
  • revamping pation chairs
We have been doing lots of work at our villa over the past few months and one of the items we revamped were some iron 'reccias' (bars) at some of our windows and had painted them from black to grey.  Therefore we already had some paint left over from that project.  I used Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint.  This paint is durable, corrosion resistant.  It has a very smooth appearance and smooth to the touch and sheds water well.  It is available in a variety of colours and can be applied directly onto rusty metal and there is no need for a primer or undercoat.  I used the colour Silver, which goes with the colours I have outside.

I gave them two coats of this using a brush

• revamping pation chairs
You can see how much lighter and brighter they are
  • revamping pation chairs
Just to show the Before and After together so you can see the difference!
  • revamping pation chairs
Here it is sat next to an Ikea Lack Table that I re-did in Decoupage - perhaps another little project for me to show another time?
  • revamping pation chairs
And.. another one
  • revamping pation chairs

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 20, 2018 11:42 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.