Revamping Patio Chairs

$0

The other day I was given two old patio chairs by a friend who didn't want them anymore as they had rusted very badly and she wanted to purchase some smaller chairs for her balcony as she doesn't have that much space. She knew I could revamp them and that we had plenty of space for them around our villa, so gave them to me.
First of all I gave the chairs a fairly good sanding

Then I masked off the front and and back of the chairs by laying newspaper all along the fabric with masking tape. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of this
Another close-up of the rust that was on the chairs - you can see that they were quite bad with rust!
And... another
We have been doing lots of work at our villa over the past few months and one of the items we revamped were some iron 'reccias' (bars) at some of our windows and had painted them from black to grey.  Therefore we already had some paint left over from that project.  I used Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint.  This paint is durable, corrosion resistant.  It has a very smooth appearance and smooth to the touch and sheds water well.  It is available in a variety of colours and can be applied directly onto rusty metal and there is no need for a primer or undercoat.  I used the colour Silver, which goes with the colours I have outside.

I gave them two coats of this using a brush

You can see how much lighter and brighter they are
Just to show the Before and After together so you can see the difference!
Here it is sat next to an Ikea Lack Table that I re-did in Decoupage - perhaps another little project for me to show another time?
And.. another one

• Rosy

Where do I find the Hammerite paint?

Have never seen it before.

• Vanessa Dollins

The sling part on my chair is in need of replacement. Do you know how to do that? Your chairs look great!

• Linda

It looks like the paint is spray on paint. What were the paint brushes for? I have two chairs I need to do this to. You did a fantastic job.

• Denise Hardy

Hi Linda you can either use spray paint or a brush - I preferred the brush working out of a tin, but some people prefer spraying. You can purchase both from the Amazon link. Just choose which one you would prefer to use. Thank you for your lovely comment :)