Old Chair Upgrade.

$25

We have a little patio set from IKEA that sits outside our guest room bedroom on the deck. This week, while pressure washing the house and deck and getting everything ready for summer, I realized that the wood on the set was in bad shape from the winter weather.
old chair upgrade, Some rotten places and peeling paint
Some rotten places and peeling paint.
To redo these chairs, I first asked my husband to take off the old wood.
old chair upgrade
The strips were put on with little screws so it was easy to get them off.
old chair upgrade
Here is the frame with all the wood gone. The metal is fine, just needed cleaning.
old chair upgrade
We used wood strips from Lowes and cut them the same length as the old strips. They are wider than the original but that didn't cause a problem.
old chair upgrade
We attached the strips from the bottom using the holes already there and new screws.
old chair upgrade
This is the seat. We attached 2 strips on the back.
old chair upgrade
I sanded everything and even gave a little shape to the seat. I rounded all the edges.
old chair upgrade
I then stained the chairs using Minwax Gunstock, one of my favorites.
old chair upgrade
To finish, we sprayed the chairs with protective enamel. I thought about poly but this is easier and faster.
old chair upgrade
This is the finished chair. We did two.
old chair upgrade
This is the table that goes with the set. The wood is fine, so I just sanded and stained the top. It has the enamel spray as well.
old chair upgrade
Here is the set, back on the deck, ready for our guests to use. They can sit and enjoy their coffee or a nice glass of wine.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 12, 2018 11:07 PM - More info