Old Chair Upgrade.

34K Views
We have a little patio set from IKEA that sits outside our guest room bedroom on the deck. This week, while pressure washing the house and deck and getting everything ready for summer, I realized that the wood on the set was in bad shape from the winter weather.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $25Difficulty: Easy
To redo these chairs, I first asked my husband to take off the old wood.
  • old chair upgrade
The strips were put on with little screws so it was easy to get them off.
  • old chair upgrade
Here is the frame with all the wood gone. The metal is fine, just needed cleaning.
  • old chair upgrade
We used wood strips from Lowes and cut them the same length as the old strips. They are wider than the original but that didn't cause a problem.
  • old chair upgrade
We attached the strips from the bottom using the holes already there and new screws.
  • old chair upgrade
This is the seat. We attached 2 strips on the back.
  • old chair upgrade
I sanded everything and even gave a little shape to the seat. I rounded all the edges.
  • old chair upgrade
I then stained the chairs using Minwax Gunstock, one of my favorites.
  • old chair upgrade
To finish, we sprayed the chairs with protective enamel. I thought about poly but this is easier and faster.
  • old chair upgrade
This is the finished chair. We did two.
  • old chair upgrade
This is the table that goes with the set. The wood is fine, so I just sanded and stained the top. It has the enamel spray as well.
  • old chair upgrade
Here is the set, back on the deck, ready for our guests to use. They can sit and enjoy their coffee or a nice glass of wine.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 3, 2018 11:02 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Ask a Question