Painted Therapy
Painted Therapy
  • Nashua, NH

DIY Gutter Garden

"Mommy, when can we start a garden?"
"Now?"
"Is it time yet?"
"Now?"
"Are we ready yet?"
My five-year old has been asking for a garden since last year, so I thought it was time to dig in. But there really wasn't anywhere to dig in our yard. No worries. If you are looking to start a garden with limited space, just start one on a wall or fence.
We had great light on the fence, but you can build a gutter garden on a wall, in a stand, or actually hang them from a ceiling with rope.
If you search "gutter garden" on the web, you will find endless examples. Just know you will be limited with the kinds of plants you grow, as you need ones with a shallow root system. Strawberries, lettuce, and herbs are great choices.
I decided on two 10' sections of vinyl gutters. I also purchased the end caps and gutter hangers which I thought would help keep the shape of the gutter after it was filled with soil.
Our fence is kind of ancient, and I felt we needed to reinforce where the gutters would hang, so we screwed in a few pressure treated 2 X4's. Tom's getting it done with the screw gun. :)
Then it was pretty simple to hang by putting screws into the hanger. They also help to keep the shape of the gutters after you fill them with soil.
Don't forget to drill drainage holes.
We mixed some nice top soil with compost and filled our gutters and flower pots. The little lady was thrilled to finally be getting her hands dirty.
We planted some flowers . . . .
. . . and lettuce . . .
. . . . and strawberries.
Then we just watered and waited . . . . for our harvest. ;)
UPDATE: So, we are three months in. And now we have an update . . . . . .
We still have strawberries, and they did very well, the ones that made it, that is. I had transplanted the strawberries from someone else's garden, so I blame their death on my inexperience. But we did have three harvests with our lettuce.
I've replaced many of the flowers, since they did not bloom all summer.
Herbs love the gutter garden.
What I've learned about our gutter garden:
1. Birds love strawberries. Make sure you cover them up with netting.
2. Not all flowers will bloom well in shallow soil. Will have to do research on better garden flowers for longer blooms next year.
3. Lettuce and herbs are the way to go.
4. If you are going away for a week in the summer, expect on coming home to a thirsty garden.
5. If you plan this with your 5 year old, yup, you'll be doing it all by yourself.
Painted Therapy

• Sweet pea

what's the name of the pink flowers?

• Kimberly Cox

Moss rose, I believe

• Janice

PORTULACAS

• Sweet pea

thanks Ladies :-)

• Lisa Escobar Hertzog

Portlaca

• That was flowers moss

• Kris

Portulaca or Moss Ross Purslane

• Vita

I'm not spelling this correctly ....PORCH-A-LOCK-A

• Daisy@TX

Kris is correct. Also I think she meant Moss Rose. Love your garden. Purslane is similar but a thicker plant.

• EmmaSurf

Moss rose is portulaca and a member of the purslane family, but not the same exact type as the purslane that is sold as a vegetable. The moss rose is easy to grow and will grow well in drought or in a rock garden and will creep a bit to fill in spaces. It comes in so many colors now that I use it a lot to add color interplanting around succulents.

• Tricia Rogero

Did you use any sort of endcap to keep the soil from spilling out? Love this idea!

• Sarge

Just wondering... any reason for the elevated "garden" versus planting right into the soil? The grass seems plush so I'm thinking the plants will thrive there just as nicely.

• Lou's Bits&Bobs

Fab idea ..looks amazing ..little kady should be pleasd :) also flowers an herbs looks cool thanks for shareing 👍

• Edna Wiser

Yeah, I was inspired. I have lost a leg recently, so the raised feature is attractive to me. I would probably plant a variety of succulents in the gutter garden. They don't need lots of care (incl. water), and don'tt require much dirt. Thanks for the inspiration. Edna Wiser, Sulphur OK.