That’s Aint No Bull! Stain Shaded Coffee Table Makeover

$10
Advanced

Again, and again I go back to stain shading. It has become an addiction and an obsession. I am constantly looking for solid wood pieces to put a design on. I received this coffee table in a three piece set and it did not match the side tables so I just stuck it back waiting for the right idea to come along. I was shopping with my daughters at the Home Store and noticed all the skulls and succulents mixed in with the farm decor and instantly wanted to do a skull with flowers. I decided on a longhorn skull and sunflowers.
The table is a nice big sturdy table that had been painted at some time. I started sanding and noticed right away I would have to use a light hand when sanding or hit particle board underneath the thin wood top.
Sanded and picture drawn on with pencil. I used 120grit sand paper. No lower no higher. I feel this Grit grabs the stain the best and still leaves a smooth surface.
I used miniwax espresso stain. This is the first coat. I let dry completely overnight and then applied another coat. To create the image with the stain I use my finger wrapped in a soft cloth dipped in stain and all excess dabbed off. I also use various brushes dipped in stain and excess dabbed off. It is a tedious process of going over and over to achieve the color you want.
I make my own chalk paint because I have such a great choice of colors. To make the chalk paint I use 1cup latex flat paint, 1/4 cup plaster of Paris and 1/8 cup of water. I mix it in an old blender for a few minutes. I used a storm grey paint for the bottom.
I stained the drawer the same as the top and used gold knobs to replace the old dated handles.
I sealed the chalk paint with semi gloss wipe on poly and the top with One coat Polyurethan.
I used a heat gun and wire brush to get in the crevices, and I cannot tell you how much I love using the heat gun instead of chemical stripper!
All done. I sealed the chalk paint with semi gloss wipe on poly and the top with One coat Polyurethan.

• Miniwax Espresso wood stain  (Walmart)
  • Chalk paint-homemade  (Walmart)
  • Miniwax semi gloss wipe on poly  (Home depot)

27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass