Tired China Cabinet Interior Update With Chalk Paint!

$10

Have a nice china cabinet but you want quick, inexpensive face lift? Update the interior with chalk paint and what a difference!!!
tired china cabinet interior update with chalk paint
I have seen some china cabinets similar to mine, with a nice dark cherry stain on various websites. We bought this at Goodwill for $80. That was ten years ago, it was small and fit into our kitchen/dining room perfectly. It was missing the 2 glass shelves (and brackets) so I measured exactly and bought 2 new shelves to replace them, and we bought some replacement brackets.
 Lately I thought about doing the "paint it white and add chicken wire" thing, but I liked the warm cherry color and grain. I think it might be mahogany, maybe from the 40's/50's? I stumbled onto a few photos and it gave me an idea-
This is from http://www.lisagouletdesign.com/index.php/homemade-chalk-paint-hutch-makeover/ Why not paint just the inside? I did some research and this color is a variation of Robin's Egg Blue. I brought home several paint chips and found a nice chalk-type paint at Home Depot. I didn't want to go too minty so I bought this-

Nice color! Serene by Americana Decor about $8.00.
I did use some Danish oil on the bottom to cover the wear, a bit damaged from all the decades-
I wiped down the inside with a damp cloth with Dawn. I taped off the edges and used kitchen parchment paper to cover the bottom-
My goal was to do the inside sides only. It took 2 coats, not a surprise. I used a brush on the edges and a medium sized foam roller on the walls. Worked great! I even have some paint left!
I'm happy with the result! It's lighter inside and brighter. I also down-sized the items inside. I donated some and stored the rest of the seasonal items.
Love it!
Really glad I didn't paint the bottom.
To see more about this project, and other projects I did that same day check my blog- http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/2016/09/painting-projects-times-three-fave-diy.html Well worth the $10.00 I spent!

• Americana Decor chalk paint Serene  (Home Depot)
  • Medium sized foam roller  (Home Depot)
Little Homestead In Boise