Tiny Garden Solar Light

$0

Don't throw away those old solar lights! Broken or old solar lights are the perfect thing to house your succulents and decorate your garden or walkway!
I used the old solar glass light we had in our yard. I had a few that weren't working so well anymore, so I went around my yard collecting them and laid them all out on a table.
I only needed the glass cup part and the stake, so I took the top part off to use the rest for my project.
I stuck the solar light stake into a milk crate to hold it steady, then put a few handfuls of soil into the cup. If you're planning on planting succulents, make sure that your soil is a dry, sandy mix. Succulents don't like to soak their roots.
I transplanted some succulents and other plants I had in my yard and around my garden into the cups.
I lined them up along my walkway along with a mix of different flowers and plants. This is a quick and very simple upcycle and it will really beautify your walkway.

• Rose Cottage

What about drainage?

• Zee

You can store them in a sheltered area out of the reach of rain.

• Sue Sanders

You said the succulants dont like a lot of water, so what happens when it rains and the glass bowls fill up with water.?

• Zee

you can google how to drill drainage holes.

• Sheri Farley

I live in North Carolina would my succulents survive the winter I planted them in a cement bird bath and it would be extremely difficult to move!

• Tracy

Most succulents cannot survive below 35°. The are certain varieties like Hen and Chicks that can survive way colder temps. Check you Ag Zone and research succulents that can survive your temps. Plant accordingly.

• Zee

Thank you! Great idea! I was just looking at a box full of old solars I was storing 'cuz I hated to throw out. Not sure if bottoms are drainable, but that can be worked around. They can also be placed in a sheltered area and grouped in a patio planter. She, Wifesipad, offered a great Recycle/Reuse idea. It's up to you to decide what to plant in it & how you'll handle drainage concerns. Take the idea, use your creative juices and run with it.

• Tina

I just saw something similar with flowering annuals, and I thought succulents would be nice, and here they are.