Tiny Garden Solar Light

$0

Don't throw away those old solar lights! Broken or old solar lights are the perfect thing to house your succulents and decorate your garden or walkway!
tiny garden solar light
I used the old solar glass light we had in our yard. I had a few that weren't working so well anymore, so I went around my yard collecting them and laid them all out on a table.
tiny garden solar light
I only needed the glass cup part and the stake, so I took the top part off to use the rest for my project.
tiny garden solar light
I stuck the solar light stake into a milk crate to hold it steady, then put a few handfuls of soil into the cup. If you're planning on planting succulents, make sure that your soil is a dry, sandy mix. Succulents don't like to soak their roots.
tiny garden solar light
I transplanted some succulents and other plants I had in my yard and around my garden into the cups.
tiny garden solar light
I lined them up along my walkway along with a mix of different flowers and plants. This is a quick and very simple upcycle and it will really beautify your walkway.

• Rose Cottage

What about drainage?

• Randy

I have several lights that no longer work was going to toss them until I saw this article!! Thank you fur the great idea!!

• Sue Sanders

You said the succulants dont like a lot of water, so what happens when it rains and the glass bowls fill up with water.?

• Sheri Farley

I live in North Carolina would my succulents survive the winter I planted them in a cement bird bath and it would be extremely difficult to move!

• Karin

As long as it doesn't get to far below freezing -chicks n hens will tolerate the cold but other succulents freeze - you can pull them out of your bird bath and put them in a box with sand and peat or with the dirt they were in - just throw the dirt in the bottom and lay the plants on top , and barely water them through the winter - just enough so they don’t start to wrinkle up .

• Robin

I can not wait to do this. Probably tomorrow!!

• Lana

GREAT IDEA!!   Perfect way to recycle those lights, thanks for sharing!