Cyndi Valerino
Cyndi Valerino
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fort Myers, FL

Mini Cable Spool Clock

$8

My husband brings me things he finds on job sites. Nothing, of course, that isn't left for trash. But he knows my recycle weakness, and he brings me trash. He's a keeper.
He recently brought home a half dozen different sized cable spools. The biggest one holds books and a plant in my Florida room. The plant is also on a spool... a mini spool. I really wanted to do something other than use them as plant
mini cable spool clock
The spool I used today is the size of the one holding the plant.
mini cable spool clock
The spools are connected with 2 long bolts. The first thing I did was remove them. They're easy to remove, providing they are not old and rusty. Mine weren't.
mini cable spool clock
mini cable spool clock
mini cable spool clock
I watered down acrylic paint (3 parts water to 1 part paint) and gave it 2 coats. I used Apple Barrel Burnt Umber.
mini cable spool clock
After the brown was dry, I did the same with watered down white paint. For the whitewash, I used Waverly Inspirational White Chalk paint.
mini cable spool clock
I set it aside and started on the next part while it dried. Using the other wood circle, I traced and cut out a paper circle. To get the proper placement of the numbers, I folded it in half, then in half again. From that point, using a ruler, I drew ( or wrote) my Roman numerals.

Next I glued a clock works back to the back, using hot glue.
I did this before adding the numbers so I could hang it and place the pattern where it should be.
mini cable spool clock
I flipped it over and 'chalked' the back of the numbers.
I hung the wood circle up, so I could align the numbers correctly, and used a dab from a glue stick on 12, 3, 6 & 9, and stuck it on the face and took it down.
mini cable spool clock
mini cable spool clock
I traced over each number with a pencil, then removed the paper.
mini cable spool clock
Using a black Sharpie oil pen, I went over each number.
mini cable spool clock
And I gave it another coat of whitewash. Once it dried completely, I added the hands.
mini cable spool clock
I like it! Now it's time to clean up my mess! Thanks for looking!

FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Furniture & Craft Paint in Assorted Colors (8...