DIY Laundry Shelf

$150

Our laundry room makeover is complete and the project that I’m most proud of has to be the DIY laundry shelf over the washer and dryer.
When I was pulling together the design board for this room, I knew that I wanted something over the washer and dryer. We had already used that space as a landing area, the laundry shelf would make it feel more intentional. It would also help muffle the sound of the washer and dryer a bit.
The plan was fairly simple. Line the surrounding walls with 1×2 boards and lay common boards on top to make the shelf. Here are my tips for creating a DIY laundry shelf.
diy laundry shelf
1. Invest in sawhorses. If you don’t already have them, get some. They will make staining and cutting infinitely easier.
diy laundry shelf
2. Measure obsessively. I was so worried that I was going to mess this part up that I probably would have finished the project a lot faster if I only measured twice. Labeling the back of each wood piece helped me keep track of what went where. Leave room for any hoses or cords that are above the shelf.
diy laundry shelf
3. Cut everything first. We had the large boards cut at Home Depot. The wall supports and the hose cutout I did with a jigsaw. Be picky when you are buying your wood. Make sure your 1×2’s are straight and that your common boards are not warped and have some character to them.

diy laundry shelf
4. Sand down the edges – it will give everything a more finished look.

diy laundry shelf
5. Stain last. Follow the directions on the stain container and stain the edges and under parts if there is any chance it can be seen. I used the Minwax Polyshade in Espresso.

diy laundry shelf
6. Use a good level and stud finder. All of the support boards were mounted at 30 inches high using either stud screws or drywall anchors/screws.

diy laundry shelf
7. Connect the boards underneath to prevent sagging. Attaching a small piece of 1×2 across the boards will help support them. Pre-drill the hole through the support and be careful not to go too far into the common board.

diy laundry shelf
The finished product. So happy with how it turned out.
Alice Faggi

• Hos6806293

I have a top load washer but a front load dryer. Could you add a hinge to the back in so it could be lifted to load the washer. I’m thinking cutting it down the middle.

• Barb

It would defeat the purpose of the shelf if you want to use it for storage space, though; you'd have to move items on top each time you use the washer.

• Ncu11826147

what is the pattern of the wallpaper?

• Alice Faggi

It's a floral pattern from the Devine Color line of peel and stick wallpaper at Target.

• Marilyn Allegretti

Any ideas for top loaders?

• Susan meng

I have always put a shelf above my top loader. I just use one board 1x12x ?however long left to right. The washer lid might touch the shelf depending on depth you have and how far out from wall washer & dryer are. If board is too wide, use a

1x10x length L to R.

• Gwen Beasley Clemens

I have to have to loader for my back, wish they made top load dryers! I need a folding shelf though. My dryer has lint trap on top!

• Kel

Raise it up, there are lots of home projects to do it

• Annelisse

Thank you for this great idea. I followed your instructions to the letter (even going to Home Depot to have them cut my plywood 😉).

I wanted it to fit from one end of the room to the other. Tight fit did require some trimming to get the shelf to go in correctly. Well worth the extra effort!

Thanks for sharing your your great idea!

• Alice Faggi

ANN! This made my day...week....month! Thank you for sharing!! It looks great, I love the stain that you used!