DIY Laundry Shelf

193K Views
Our laundry room makeover is complete and the project that I’m most proud of has to be the DIY laundry shelf over the washer and dryer.
When I was pulling together the design board for this room, I knew that I wanted something over the washer and dryer. We had already used that space as a landing area, the laundry shelf would make it feel more intentional. It would also help muffle the sound of the washer and dryer a bit.
The plan was fairly simple. Line the surrounding walls with 1×2 boards and lay common boards on top to make the shelf. Here are my tips for creating a DIY laundry shelf.
Time: 3 DaysCost: $150Difficulty: Medium
  • diy laundry shelf
1. Invest in sawhorses. If you don’t already have them, get some. They will make staining and cutting infinitely easier.
  • diy laundry shelf
2. Measure obsessively. I was so worried that I was going to mess this part up that I probably would have finished the project a lot faster if I only measured twice. Labeling the back of each wood piece helped me keep track of what went where. Leave room for any hoses or cords that are above the shelf.
  • diy laundry shelf
3. Cut everything first. We had the large boards cut at Home Depot. The wall supports and the hose cutout I did with a jigsaw. Be picky when you are buying your wood. Make sure your 1×2’s are straight and that your common boards are not warped and have some character to them.

• diy laundry shelf
4. Sand down the edges – it will give everything a more finished look.

• diy laundry shelf
5. Stain last. Follow the directions on the stain container and stain the edges and under parts if there is any chance it can be seen. I used the Minwax Polyshade in Espresso.

• diy laundry shelf
6. Use a good level and stud finder. All of the support boards were mounted at 30 inches high using either stud screws or drywall anchors/screws.

• diy laundry shelf
7. Connect the boards underneath to prevent sagging. Attaching a small piece of 1×2 across the boards will help support them. Pre-drill the hole through the support and be careful not to go too far into the common board.

• diy laundry shelf
The finished product. So happy with how it turned out.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of June 5, 2018 11:56 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Alice Vollmer Faggi

• Anjelica
    Anjelica Canada

Dang this is so pretty. Wish I didn’t have my old school top loading washer still!!! Cuz I would be all over this!!! Beautiful work Lady!!! Love love love love it!

• Linda Harp
        Linda Harp Cookeville, TN

You would need to use the spring loaded type of hinge; one that would also function to hold the board up, like the hood of a car

• The13363824
        The13363824

I have that top loader for washin', but I think it may be seein' its day......because this chick is havin' this for convenience for SURE!! Thank you and enjoy havin' that Xtra space for FOLDING.....or whatever, eat your lunch in there, it is so pretty.. I'd feel like Royalty, the new Princess......lol.

• Beverly Davies
            Beverly Davies Winchester, KY

A washer w/o an agitator will not get clothes clean especially if they are dirty. Like you zi bought a Maytag and kept it a week...back to store....purchased a Hotpoint and love it