Alice Faggi
Alice Faggi
  • Carlsbad, CA

DIY Laundry Shelf

$150

Our laundry room makeover is complete and the project that I’m most proud of has to be the DIY laundry shelf over the washer and dryer.
When I was pulling together the design board for this room, I knew that I wanted something over the washer and dryer. We had already used that space as a landing area, the laundry shelf would make it feel more intentional. It would also help muffle the sound of the washer and dryer a bit.
The plan was fairly simple. Line the surrounding walls with 1×2 boards and lay common boards on top to make the shelf. Here are my tips for creating a DIY laundry shelf.
diy laundry shelf
1. Invest in sawhorses. If you don’t already have them, get some. They will make staining and cutting infinitely easier.
diy laundry shelf
2. Measure obsessively. I was so worried that I was going to mess this part up that I probably would have finished the project a lot faster if I only measured twice. Labeling the back of each wood piece helped me keep track of what went where. Leave room for any hoses or cords that are above the shelf.
diy laundry shelf
3. Cut everything first. We had the large boards cut at Home Depot. The wall supports and the hose cutout I did with a jigsaw. Be picky when you are buying your wood. Make sure your 1×2’s are straight and that your common boards are not warped and have some character to them.

diy laundry shelf
4. Sand down the edges – it will give everything a more finished look.

diy laundry shelf
5. Stain last. Follow the directions on the stain container and stain the edges and under parts if there is any chance it can be seen. I used the Minwax Polyshade in Espresso.

diy laundry shelf
6. Use a good level and stud finder. All of the support boards were mounted at 30 inches high using either stud screws or drywall anchors/screws.

diy laundry shelf
7. Connect the boards underneath to prevent sagging. Attaching a small piece of 1×2 across the boards will help support them. Pre-drill the hole through the support and be careful not to go too far into the common board.

diy laundry shelf
The finished product. So happy with how it turned out.
Alice Faggi

• Anna

Love the diy laundry but I have a top loader how would you do it

• Mhu4172409

Use a piano hinge and hinge the back then use two dowels on each end that go into a hole or something to hold up the boards as you unload the machine,

• Pat Miller

I too have a top loader. I do not have cabinets in my laundry room. I just put shelving over the top leaving enough room for the lid to raise. works fine... If you wanted to hide the shelving, you can always place a rod with some draw curtains

• Tdk28431320

I also have top loader and would do only over back 1/2 as you suggested. Because of issues I've heard with front loader and mildew on the rubber around door, I'll always have top loader, which I really like.

• Anna

Thanks

• Alice Faggi

I saw a few for a top loader on Pinterest. Way beyond my skill level. Ha!

• Jps24536177

Do you have access to the water supply?

• Ka.12493920

What are the clothes hanging on above the machines? I can't tell with the label on the picture.

• Cindy Myers DuBois

Look to the far left of the picture and you can see the draw string laundry line. Most commonly found in hotel bathrooms/tubs.

• Jps24536177

Looks like it may be a retractable line.

• Mary

Retractable clothesline. These are great for the laundry room. Believe you can get these at Lowe’s.

• Alice Faggi

It's a retractable line that I spray painted gold to match the pulls and the light fixture.

• Jps24536177

do you have access to the water shut off valves?

• Jaime Quinn

The water shut-off valves are accessible above the shelf behind the canisters.

• Alice Faggi

Yep! They come up above the shelf, the canisters are hiding them. I also have access to the drain. The top of the shelfs are not bolted down either so that would provide easy access to the back of the space if necessary without damaging the project.

• Ma

I forgot to ask - where did you find this wallpaper?

• James A Price

Home Depot

• Alice Faggi

The wallpaper is actually from Target. It's peel and stick. You can see all the resources and how I put it up on the finished project. I also did a post here about how to put peel and stick wallpaper up.

• Amy Rohde

Hi this is so sweet! Is your frontload washer/dryer on pedestals? I literally have the same setup as you with the cabinets above but I don’t have room for the shelf since mine are on pedestals. There’s a bit of space above my cabinets though so I’m thinking of raising them to the ceiling so I can do this!

• Alice Faggi

No, mine are on the floor.

• Laura Keenan

I would make your cabinets go higher on the wall so you can add the shelf. We put in a beautiful laminate counter top, had a hole drilled out in back for hose, water access that has a trap on it to keep things from falling through. Having a space to fold clothes that is dust free is awesome to me! So much cleaner, neater! Thi sidea was great also and less expensive, but more time consuming than a laminate countertop that look s like quartz or granite or marble. Whatever you prefer and just costs a bit more than the wood, stain, sealer. Not much more though. Only about $45 more. My hubby installed it and we live it! Now we are having cabinets installed above, some more she,bing and a clothing rack for drying clothes, add some decor and finish painting and we are done!

• Lily Kwan

I did something like this years ago already but I just bought mdf and attached a lip at the back, put "furniture protector pads" underneath to protect the top of the washer/dryer . This way I can easily remove it should I want to or need to move the washer/dryer to clean behind them or in case I needed to buy new appliances. I painted mine a bright red. It really is awesome to do because now things don't fall behind or in between the washer/dryer. Gives so much space for folding laundry. My way is soooo easy. Her's looks beautiful but when I came up with this idea I wanted something easy.

• Donna Old

But what happens if you buy a new set, and they are taller than the old ones? You would have to remove it all & raise it I suppose.

• Alice Faggi

Yes but I believe most front loading washers are a standard size. At least for now.

• Patricia Halstead Jude

With a good w/d set, you shouldn't have to replace them for many years!!

• Lily Kwan

I made mine years ago with 1/2 inch mdf (heavy enough that it doesn't move) but mine sits directly on top of the washer/dryer with protective pads underneath and I painted mine red...works the same but sooooo much easier and gives space for folding clothes and things don't fall behind/in between the washer and dryer and I can remove it easily should I need to. I put a lip on the back as well. I didn't need to do drilling into the walls.

• Paula P

I bought a plain door from the Re-Store for $5, cut it down to size, painted it and put it on top of the w/d with a pad underneath to keep it from scratching. I already had the paint so it only cost $5.

• Eroque022810

Hi, I was wondering if this is the entrance from your garage and if your utilities or on the opposite side?

• Alice Faggi

Yes this is the entrance from our garage. The wall behind the washer/dryer is to a closet and staircase - so basically nothing. Our heater and water tank are in the garage, we don't have a/c.

• Eroque022810

Thank you.

• Linda

I saw that you had height markings for your kids. Did you cover that up? I want to makeover my laundry room too, but I don’t want to cover mine up.

• Connied804

My first thought was to frame the measured area with some decorative trim and then paint around it. I would hate to lose those memories. My grandkids are about to get that age and I was thinking of making a board and attaching that to the wall, so that I can carry it with me if I need to move or paint around.

• Alice Faggi

I bought a ruler from Target and transferred the heights. It's mounted inside of our coat closet. Also, this is peel and stick wallpaper so it didn't ruin what I had measured. I'm really happy with the ruler though. We don't plan to move anytime soon but if we do, I don't have to worry about moving those precious memories with me.

• Marilou Kishur

would it be possible to make it a liftable shelf to accommodate top loaders?

• Deb

I would think with piano style hinges, on the wall and between the two boards, you could lift it up and out of the way. Although I have front loading machines, I wondered the same thing.

• Deb

Continued.. you would want to make sure, that when the shelf is folded up, you have enough clearance to lift the washer lid and access to the controls, that I am guessing are also on top.

• Coo23476836

We have a top loader washer, so we bought brackets and a finished shelf and just stuck it on. We put it right above the washer door while it was open. It works perfect and if we need to we can just lift the shelf off the brackets. It stays on with no problem and is 5 ft long. Love it.

• Vee

Such a good idea. We installed cabinets above top load washer/dryer. I'm tempted to buy a front loader just to be able to create a folding table in our small laundry room.

• Carol

He cut out around the water supply lines, why couldn't you cut out around where your controls are for your washer? I know they might look funny sticking out above the board, but raising that lid all the time would get tiring.

• Carol

Continued.. You could even put a little shelf on top the controls on you washer! That way you could set little things like your softener sprinkles if you use them, Shout Color Catcher Sheets and so on on top of that!

• Alice Faggi

I've seen some adaptations on Pinterest for front loaders.

• Amn12522030

Wouldn't you have to empty the shelf every time that you put a load into your top loading washer?

• DN

Good point!

• Hos6806293

I have a top load washer but a front load dryer. Could you add a hinge to the back in so it could be lifted to load the washer. I’m thinking cutting it down the middle.

• Van Davidson

You could, BUT you wouldn't have needed support in the middle. Two shelf brackets would solve that problem

• Alice Faggi

Just connect both sides on the bottom and hinge the washer side.

• Teresa

You just put a narrower shelf on it, enough so you can open the top of your washer.

• Melody Stern

You would have to put a narrower shelf if you have cupboards above,I put a 1x8 above my top load washer and dryer,placed below cupboards with just enough room to put my baskets,and it doesn't interfere with opening the washer door!

• Barb

It would defeat the purpose of the shelf if you want to use it for storage space, though; you'd have to move items on top each time you use the washer.

• Ncu11826147

what is the pattern of the wallpaper?

• Alice Faggi

It's a floral pattern from the Devine Color line of peel and stick wallpaper at Target.

• Marilyn Allegretti

Any ideas for top loaders?

• Alice Faggi

There are some great ideas in this comment thread and on Pinterest. I think you could hinge it at the back wall if you joined all the boards together. It's totally doable!

• Susan meng

I have always put a shelf above my top loader. I just use one board 1x12x ?however long left to right. The washer lid might touch the shelf depending on depth you have and how far out from wall washer & dryer are. If board is too wide, use a

1x10x length L to R.

• Kathy Graves

For top load washer how about just covering the top of the Dryer, it won't be that long but you will still gain some kind of space.

• Joanie

You're very lucky to have front loaders and SumSung at that. You did a really nice job. Everything looks superior! What are in your canisters? I'm curious... ...clothespins or laundry chemicals?

• Terri

Any suggestions for a garage laundry area,its always dusty and ugly. I want something that looks clean and pretty

• CeeJay

Don't stain your shelf dark. It will show every bit of dust! Light colors, even white are better at hiding dust.

• Debra Webster

I agree!

• Hb

You have obviously made a cut out for the water hoses and drain . Would like to see what that looks like please, instead of the canisters placed in front of the cutout . I am not likely to use canisters to camouflage that.

Also I notice that the shelf is not cut out for the plugs .What happens when you need to unplug or move /remove one of the machines . Do you have to disassemble the whole shelf or are the board just perched on the supports underneath ?

Not sure that that is a good idea to have the plug wires squished between the wall and the shelf as wear from vibrations from your machines can cause a break in the wire covering which ultimately could expose live wires . It is not going to happen overnight I realize but is a hazard that can be avoided with a small cutout in the back board of the shelf

• Wanda

The plugs and hoses come out of the back of the machines, so they are totally clear of the shelf. No cut out.

The shelf just lifts off the top of the machines if you need to get behind them for any reason.

• Tara Austin

The hoses are hidden behind the canisters and it does look like wires to the outlet and hoses are pinned to the wall by the shelf. They are not totally clear of the shelf, they are above the shelf.

• Gigi Weber Hansen

She stated in her post that cutouts were made with a jigsaw for hoses and/or cords. I'm sure the cutout for the hoses is larger than the one for the cords. It looks beautiful.

• Susan

No big deal, hb. If all of that really bothers you, when you do it, make cutouts for the plugs and adjust the project to cover the hoses. Then post it so that we can all learn from your solutions.

• Wandamurline

What are the metal shelf holders that holds the boards and where did you get them? Thanks, looks great.

• R Walter

The boards that are attached to the wall that hold the shelves are 1X2's that are screwed to the wall. If you don't hit studs, use wall anchors. Tthe shelves just lie on top. You can use brad nails to secure the long boards to the 1X2's but then they would not be easily removable in an emergency. Small screws would be better. If you have hoses or electrical cords that need to pass behind the shelves, you can cut out a section on the back of the shelf with a jig saw to allow the shelf to sit flush against the wall.

• Etet

Did she mean the metal saw horses?

• Dorothy Sittler

Do you have the laundry equipment on coasters or how do you service them?

• Doug

Hopefully rarely they look new

• MargaretHoulihan

Unscrew the top shelf from the braces that are along the walls, pick up the shelf, and then you can get to the washer and dryer the same as before there was a shelf. That's why the directions said to use screws and not brad nails. It would be difficult to remove the nails.

• Bob Worth Jr.

There's another way you can do it without using screws to hold the shelves. Make sure to know your dimensions. Place another set of 1x2 boards above the first set. Only leave space for the shelves to slide between the two sets. That way, when you need to service the machines OR clean dust and debris from the tops of the Dryer and Washer, you slide the boards out for maintenance and cleaning. There's always going to be a problem with screws because of the moisture from the Washer - they tend to rust. Plus, you have to go find the right screw driver each time. Though with the "rails" in place, sliding the boards in and out as you need to is the better way.

• Alice Faggi

The boards are not screwed or nailed in so if we ever needed to get to the back of the machines it would be easy.

• Dorothy Sittler

The shelf could also be put there with a hinge that hooks to the wall. This would allow for dusting of the machines.

• Rose Broadway

This is so pretty. I did this to mine in the last home we had. Sure makes a difference, doesn't it?

• Karin Chittleborough

I like this idea and I need space in my laundry room desperately. However, I have a top loader washer. How can I achieve this look & still have access to my washer?

• Sharon Wilkins

You could do this by using hinges on the back of the shelf where it sits on the brace like the lid of a toy box. Make sure to use hinges that hold it open until you close it. I would probably make a split shelf so you only have to raise the side over the washer

• Bre31887168

Buy a front loader washer lol

• Sharon

I just made a smaller shelf. Only make it as wide as will fit when washer is open. It gives more space than you think and takes advantage of the unused space between the wall and the appliance.

• Terry

You can't !

• Terry

You can make it narrower though so it does not interfere with the opening of the toploader

• Jerry Pieper

We put a good strong magnet on front edge of shelf. This held the lid open very well.

• Noone Nancy

What a great idea. This is my problem, too. And the control are on the back. But a narrow shelf would also be helpful!

• J

If you have any clear wall space in your laundry room you can make a similar shelf that folds down, they are a few inches wide folded down along the wall and be as wide as you need.

• CarlyTee

Check out laundry makeovers on YouTube and Pinterest - lots of people have top loaders and have simply made narrower shelves. Also, if possible, you could pull the washer out from the wall (just a little) to give you a bit of depth).

• Joe Jones

Jerry yes you can

Jerry pieper I did too

I made my shelf exactly like this I cut a half circle curve where the washer lid would hit and made it high enough to get to the controls and used magnet on the edge.

• Leslie Price

We did this in our old house because we had front loaders and used a piece of counter top. We have had to replace the washer and it is now a top loader because the front loaders got horrible mildew in the ring, even with leaving the door open and routing cleaning. So I need to be able to lift the top to load the washer and will need to set it up so that it holds itself up while I do that. Any ideas?

Leslie

• Linda

Hinges in the middle so you lift up while doing laundry

• Dusty

as well as putting a hinge on the board, you could attach a hook (in the board) and latch (in the wall) to hold it up.

• BEAUTY FOR ASHES

What if you maybe cut it in half/or not and put hinges on it so you can lift it up?

• Ahilly

I used closet angle brackets that have the curved part for a rod to put my shelf up high enough for my washer lid to open well. I use an adjustable closet rod from one bracket to the next, and keep clip type hangers there for items that I can drip dry.

• Mca22705144

Thank

• CarlyTee

• Alice Faggi

I love the hook idea, or even a kickstand would work also.

• Joe Jones

Strong Magnet on the edge of the shelf is what I did a welding magnet

• GarynSharon Daniels

How do you keep from cluttering the shelf. I have one and its so handy.

• Windy

I wish there were a like button.

• Alice Faggi

I’m constantly cleaning it off...especially now that our kitchen is under construction. 😖

• Joe Jones

Self control organization and cleaning

• Sue

What is a good way to clean my shower doors in my bathroom with the hard water on them

• Pam Olson

Sue - I have a spray bottle with plain old cheap white vinegar. Spray the whole door to get it damp. Then I slather on baking soda. Spray again with vinegar and it makes the baking soda bubble. Let set for just a minute. Use a washcloth in circles, then spray with plain water and squeegee dry. Trust me - I've tried such harsh cleaners as CLR (which isn't cheap either!) and the baking soda and vinegar work much better.

• Diane Peters

Squeegee your glass doors after every shower and you won’t get the hard water build up

• Gar28154168

wipe your shower enclosure down after every shower. "bonus" you may get a small amount of exercise at the same time. I use a shammy.

• Donna

I use glass top stove cleaner!

• Grandmaquilts

The trick is to get it clean.....then you can squeegee it to keep it clean. Try using a 'SCRUBBIE SPONGE' and straight Downey. If that doesn't do it, get some CLR...it removes Calcium, Lime, and Rust. It will clean, but it's nasty stuff. use rubber gloves, lots of ventilation.

• Louise Elliott

The best and only way I found to get hard water spots off is with a product called Driven. Use your drill and a scrubber brush attachment. Spray the door with water and keep it wet while you scrub. It will take the spots off and the door will look brand new again!

• Pat

I cup heated vinegar mixed with 1 cup original dawn dish detergent mixed in a spray dispenser. Spray it on, let it dissolve soap scum. (10-20 minutes) i use a squeegie toremovesolution. Then polish with a soft towel or tee shirt material. It works amazingly. Its also wonderful for restoring grout.

• Glady

do not use soap bars for you. The y leave more scrum than anything and use liquid soap I use the product called scrub free spray it after shower and next day wash it off. If you do this every other dayit practically cleans itself

• Sally

I simply use a damp Mr. Clean foam sponge and the water left on the door after a shower. Comes out crystal clear! I squeegee after every shower but periodically I get lazy or am in a hurry and don't squeegee...don't forget to clean where the doors overlap!

• Steve

I'm really, really rich! Someone else does this for me. Sorry, can't help you.

• Joe Jones

Why ask this on a project about a washing machine?

Steve why answer with I don’t know? No one specifically asked you. You can just scroll past.

To the person with the soap bar it doesn’t leave any more hard water stains than any other soap. The water is what determines that. The soap runs off you into the drain

Who wants to squeegie or wipe a shower and sweat after you just got clean and are headed to relax for the evening.

But to get it super clean with no scrubbing use boat hull cleaner it’s made for fiberglass and boat windshields you let it sit for 15 min or until scum is Gone and rinse it will look new. If you have fiberglass shower insert it will clean it as well it will be white again.

• Theresa Duplak Guiles

You mounted the boards 30 inches high? From where? Maybe 3 inches higher than the washer and dryer!? Thank you!

• Alice Faggi

I measured up from the floor. Gives me about an inch clearance above the machines. Anything more than that and it would be too tall for me. (I’m 5’3”)

• Larry

How do I open my top loading washer?

• Jayne

Clearly this shelf would only work for front load washer and dryer.

• Jewellmartin

My washer is top loader and dryer is front. And they match. Way to buy used, Jewell

• Janerose

you make enough of a shelf to go over just your dryer...

• Gabrielle Falk

I only have a small laundry. With a toilet, and a pantry. What we have done is put the clothes dryer on the wall. Only use the dryer when it's raining, anyway. Always dry clothes on the clothes line.

• Victoria

I also have top load washer but am installing a shelf over just the back side of washer and dryer in order to open washer. It will be 12” deep as they sit away from wall do to the plumbing and dryer vent. This will get the change jar off the dryer and all my husbands other junk😄

• Simona

This project is only for front loaders and I have the same situation as you. Just install a cabinet and your good.

• Claudiamelugin

What kind of lights did you use for under the cabinet?

• Janerose

There are so many great choices out there to choose from...I bought a couple of lights at ocean State Job Lot near me, Wal-Mart has different kinds...rope lighting might work for you as well...

• Joe Jones

I’m not sure she needed lights but the LED lights they sell for $4.99 at Walmart for behind the TV will work great they have double side tape and are really thin and not visible like rope lights are

• Kim Greco

I just did this project this weekend and I love the results!

• Alice Faggi

YAY! I'd love to see pictures - you can share them on my website or my Facebook! @nuggetlands :-)

• Mary M

Like this idea very much, but have a top loader washer and bottom open dryer. Does anyone have any suggestions on bbuilding a shelf

• Carla

You could have a section over the washer use supports similar to end areas and additional supports in each side of washer. Cut out a section and hinge it. Just a thought, using a shock style device to hold it open on one side. I'm trying to think of the design for my same issue. My hatch on my boat gave me the idea.

• Kenneth

Same here. I built the same thing but instead of 2 boards wide, I used 1. It’s a perfect shelf for cleaning products

• Laura

A friend suggested I use a broken microwave stand. The top piece worked good. Had to leave it when moved☹️

• Karen

You could make one shelf able to fold/flip over onto the other one if you want to have one completely across. Or you could just use half and incorporate shelves to your needs. We installed a cupboard up above and then put in a smaller shelf .

• Frances

we just put a long shelf high enough so washer loads.

• Joe Jones

I did mine with a half circle curved spot over the washer but making one cut and hinging the washer side sounds like a great idea I also put a magnet on the edge to hold my washer door up just in case.

• Patricia

Have anything for top loading machines?

• Rebecca Hampsey DePue

Put the shelf higher. Just make sure you can open your machines all of the way.

• Joe Jones

It’s been answered and asked 3 other times. I posted a drawing kind of a drawing too.

• NewGrace

Patricia I have the same set up and to make matters worse my washer and dryer are in the kitchen with just a small half wall dividing between the washer and my stove.

Like in the picture I have a homemade (by previous owners) cupboard above the laundry area. So, my thought on this is this; I’m going to put a board partway across and put railings on the ends so nothing can fall off either side. This will then leave the area above the washer open so that it’s not blocking the lid, but I still have a shelving area the width of the dryer.

• Melinda

I like the idea of having more space. How can I do this project if my washing machine is a top loader and not a front loader? Could you help me to plan?

• Carrie Lynn

I was going to ask the same question! Not everyone has frontloaders.

• Mary StClair

Now I have front loader envy!

• Rita

Maybe that part of the shelf could lift on hinges to be short term folding space

• Joe Jones

I have a top loader and I put the shelf a little higher so my knobs could be reached and I shaped the shelf so that the lid could be raised. So I cut a slight half circle shape where the door would hit the shelf and I also put a magnet on the edge of my shelf to hold the door up. I haven’t put it back up since the hurricane we had in October I’ve been doing repairs so it’s not installed but I can draw it if that would help.

• Joe Jones

It’s crude but I hope you get the idea

• Joe Jones

Q

• Kari

It’s beautiful and makes me want a front load! I’d love to see some ideas for storage with a top load!

• Darlene Dalton

It’s says in my dryer manual not to anything on top of the dryer what will do to it with that on top of it?

• Krissy

Leave a couple inches between the appliance and the shelf for venting and you’ll be fine

• Joe Jones

You’re going to have to re-type your question it isn’t really clear what you’re asking. If you are asking what will it do to it I don’t know of anything it could possibly do unless it can’t vent and you can’t get to your lint trap

• K. stay

How do you clean lint and dust from the tops of your appliances? It looks great.

• Joe Jones

Where is the drain for your washing machine ? I’ve never seen a modern house with spickets like that. What we call a washing machine box with two hose connects And drain in the middle it recesses in the wall. It’s s required by code nowadays it prevents messes and if your hoses start leaking at the connections it goes in the drain not the electric parts of the machine and your floor.

• Melissa

Just saw there is a drainage hose in the picture

• Charisse Rahter

My home was built in the 70s. This type of drain system and water line is typical for older homes in my area.

• Sheila Swenson-Patzner

This post isn’t about whether the house is up to code or not. It’s about a really good DIY project. And my house is the same and almost everyone else’s house that I have been in.

• Joyce Mccue

I'm not sure about where you live but those hoses look exactly like mine and also my friends who's in a brand new construction.

Anyway love the idea!

• Debbie Koehne Whipple

I guess codes are different everywhere. I have the inset box as well in GA. Not sure if it is a code here, but I do like it. Back to the shelf idea, I love it and that is a beautiful laundry room. Would not work for me because I have a top loader washer!

• Nicole

Inspiring!!i also have a top loader. I would see if a hinge and latch up closed and open down like a Murphy bed? Or like a car hood

• Bessie

My washing machine loads from the top

• Elvia Tagle

My washer loads from the top also. I placed a board as a shelf just to cover top of washer where the lid will not hit it. It also blocks view of what's behind the washer. My shelves are reused boards to give it that country look. I use different styles but same colored baskets to place on shelves as drawers.

• Shawn

please post a picture...

• Abayomi49

This looks great!! Our problems is being able to use the controls on top of the appliances. Plus our dryer vent is on top. Way to much lint flying around. I really like the front loaders much better for this project!! Your idea is excellent.

• Susan Butler

I DO TOO MY GUESS ONLY GO OVER THE DRYER

• Karen Grunberg

Someone posted above that they might make it with a hinge, like a car hood, for their top loader. Great idea!

• Kayla Williams

How do you clean the lint trap?

• Anne Paulson-Lillie

My lint trap is in the door.

• Michele Morgan

I would assume that if the lint filter is on top u would have to keep the shelf empty so you could remove the shelf to empty it. I might place the shelf higher so there is space enough to get to it.

• Charlene

Or the shelf shorter but center it between the two appliances or even a cut out for ir

• Marla Bales

How do you keep the board from ruining to to of the washer and dryer..

• Bonnie Lines Aarseth

The board isn’t laying on top, it’s making mounted to the wall.

• Lynette

You mount it just above the washer and dryer not on it, it's not touching them it just looks like it

• Aracely

What can i do if my lil space is concrete walks.... i live in a historical lil house... drilling is a no no for the city....what can i do to make space above the appliances.... its dead space n i can really use it......i have about 2.5 ft around my dryer .... the washer has two windows sooo not much i can do there...????? Helpless

• Michele Morgan

If there's enough space I would put "legs" on it so it's like a table that you can slide over it so the board is attached to the legs instead of the walls. I think some simple 2x4's would work. I think. U might want to ask a pro to be sure. But it seems like it would be pretty straight forward.

• Alice Faggi

I was thinking the same thing as Shell - I think you could do this same shelf just with some legs.

• Jan Daley

Legs!

• Charlene

You could use caulking to attach the wood to the concrete

• Gwen

Maybe if you have sheetrock ceilings you can utilize this method. https://youtu.be/aiTH4M8JAok

• Peggy O'Brien

I'm not trying to get you into trouble BUT----does anyone from the city ever come into your house to see if you have drilled holes into your concrete walls in the basement? Or do they call you and ask you? When you move fill the holes with toothpaste and color it gray, or whatever shade your wall is with a marker!

• Portia

What if I have a top loader?

• Jan Daley

Maybe a slider?

• Steven Connell

You can make the shelves higher and add a leg in the middle, fit between the washer and dryer, for bracing for the shelves

• Karen Morba

I have the same issue. My Laundry Room makeover is almost complete. Exception of wanting shelf over Top Loader. I was thinking about cutting out wood, slightly larger than lid to washer, attaching a 'piano hinge' but still want shelf 'flat'. Need idea for opening the 'shell's lid' to open the washer. Some sort of 'flat drawer pull' (I can visually see it my head. Lol. But don't what there called). Thoughts?

• Leah Edwards

What if u just had the shelf in two square pieces instead of long boards and attach hinges underneath between the two..you would need at least one leg on the side that doesn't lift up as support because their support method then wouldnt work but i really think one would do at the front? Or if you did use their support method but only attack it to the side that doesnt lift up..so u would see the lip of it when u lift the mobile side..does anyone picture what im saying?? I'm no professional but i have the picture in my mind 😆 because I'm trying to make it work with a top loader as well! 😆

• Leah Edwards

Obviously the hinges would need to go on the back side of the shelf if u did the original support with lip verses a leg at the front

• Patsy

What do you do if you have to move washer or dryer?

• Alice Faggi

The top boards are only resting on the supports so you could easily remove them and get to the back of the washer or dryer if needed.

• Jill

This is perfect because I have that same washer and dryer so it will fit beautifully ... Thank you!

• Haymur

What happens when the clothes are not evenly distributed in the washer? I know mine will dance all out of position?

• PCSheehan

It would be wiser to balance your load, whether you have these shelfs or not, for the sake of your repair bill for the machine, if nothing else.

• Sharon

I'm planning a piano-hinged shelf for the laundry room in our new home.

My shelf will be on the opposite wall from my front load washer and dryer.

That way I can have workspace when I need it and easy access to laundry sorter, etc. when I don't need to fold clothes.

• MissiCindie

Looks nice but you didn’t say how you cut out around your washer hoses and electric wires! Hope it all works for you! I had to put my shelves2 feet above my w/d combo I have a top load washer

• Sharon

She said she used a jigsaw to do the cutouts for the hoses and wires.