Alice Faggi
Alice Faggi
  • Carlsbad, CA

DIY Laundry Shelf

$150

Our laundry room makeover is complete and the project that I’m most proud of has to be the DIY laundry shelf over the washer and dryer.
When I was pulling together the design board for this room, I knew that I wanted something over the washer and dryer. We had already used that space as a landing area, the laundry shelf would make it feel more intentional. It would also help muffle the sound of the washer and dryer a bit.
The plan was fairly simple. Line the surrounding walls with 1×2 boards and lay common boards on top to make the shelf. Here are my tips for creating a DIY laundry shelf.
diy laundry shelf
1. Invest in sawhorses. If you don’t already have them, get some. They will make staining and cutting infinitely easier.
diy laundry shelf
2. Measure obsessively. I was so worried that I was going to mess this part up that I probably would have finished the project a lot faster if I only measured twice. Labeling the back of each wood piece helped me keep track of what went where. Leave room for any hoses or cords that are above the shelf.
diy laundry shelf
3. Cut everything first. We had the large boards cut at Home Depot. The wall supports and the hose cutout I did with a jigsaw. Be picky when you are buying your wood. Make sure your 1×2’s are straight and that your common boards are not warped and have some character to them.

diy laundry shelf
4. Sand down the edges – it will give everything a more finished look.

diy laundry shelf
5. Stain last. Follow the directions on the stain container and stain the edges and under parts if there is any chance it can be seen. I used the Minwax Polyshade in Espresso.

diy laundry shelf
6. Use a good level and stud finder. All of the support boards were mounted at 30 inches high using either stud screws or drywall anchors/screws.

diy laundry shelf
7. Connect the boards underneath to prevent sagging. Attaching a small piece of 1×2 across the boards will help support them. Pre-drill the hole through the support and be careful not to go too far into the common board.

diy laundry shelf
The finished product. So happy with how it turned out.
Alice Faggi

• Patsy

What do you do if you have to move washer or dryer?

• Alice Faggi

The top boards are only resting on the supports so you could easily remove them and get to the back of the washer or dryer if needed.

• Jill

This is perfect because I have that same washer and dryer so it will fit beautifully ... Thank you!

• Haymur

What happens when the clothes are not evenly distributed in the washer? I know mine will dance all out of position?

• PCSheehan

It would be wiser to balance your load, whether you have these shelfs or not, for the sake of your repair bill for the machine, if nothing else.

• Sharon

I'm planning a piano-hinged shelf for the laundry room in our new home.

My shelf will be on the opposite wall from my front load washer and dryer.

That way I can have workspace when I need it and easy access to laundry sorter, etc. when I don't need to fold clothes.

• MissiCindie

Looks nice but you didn’t say how you cut out around your washer hoses and electric wires! Hope it all works for you! I had to put my shelves2 feet above my w/d combo I have a top load washer

• Sharon

She said she used a jigsaw to do the cutouts for the hoses and wires.