Can we take a load bearing wall down between the kitchen and living?

We want open house concept what is the best way to take the wall down and will 2 steel post take the place of the wall and hold up the house?

  10 answers
  • wow, sounds like a question for an engineer. You don't want to take any chances with that. I think you should consult a professional.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 17, 2018
    this video should give you advice without consulting a professional right now.
  • Before you do anything, you need to check current building code, a permit and need the assessment of a structural engineer. Sometimes a steel header can be installed to avoid using posts, but it depends on how the home was constructed and how long the run is. Not a homeowner DIY under any circumstances, you need a licensed contractor.
  • 27524803 27524803 on May 17, 2018
    I would advise you to consult a Structural Engineer before removing ANY walls.... or can help you find a referral and reference verified one.... you may be able to use a larger beam (laminated or steel) and not have to have posts... the structural engineer will give you the best information and advice... and it may save your home from expensive damage.
  • Janet Janet on May 17, 2018
    Yes you generally can it is quit expensive to do though. A good general contractor able to assist in helping you decide if it is possible that the wall be removed sometimes it cant.
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on May 17, 2018
    You can take it down but you must build temporary supports to hold the house up while removing the wall and installing the beam. As for the steel posts, you have to be sure that they are able to carry the load the house will put on them (some can hold more than others). You can install the beam without the posts if you have the right kind and the proper supports for it. I would really suggest getting a few professional opinions.
  • Barbara Gallyot Barbara Gallyot on May 17, 2018
    Consult an expert , too dangerous to do it without a professional opinion.
  • William William on May 17, 2018
    You need a structural engineer to determine the size of beam needed to carry the load. You can't just put something up and hope for the best. Also you need to check building codes, permits, and inspections.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Feb 05, 2021

    Hello there,

    Get an Construction Engineer to calculate the right size RSJ for the Job, You will need "Accro" Props too to hold the ceiling up so you can insert the RS This is really a job for a Builder!.

  • no one here can answer that. I find a contractor who can give you advice

Your comment...