Iron skillet is really sticky after I washed it, what can I do?

+11
I washed my iron skillet with soap and water and then tried to put the oils back in it by putting shortening all over it and in a hot stove for two or three hours and now it’s really sticky what do I do

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 17, 2018
    you are not supposed to use sopa.https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=cast%20iron%20pans
  • Put it back in the oven. Here are easy to follow directions. 🌞

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on May 17, 2018
    Hi Willaepperson7,
    I think it just needs to be heated for a longer time. Put it back in the oven, upside down with something underneath to catch any oil that drips. Use the same hot oven and leave it for at least an hour. Turn off the oven and let it all cool before you take it out. That should remove the stickiness. If not, you can either try again for another hour or try washing it. Eventually, it should come off. I suspect that it either wasn't upside down so that it could drain or it wasn't in the oven long enough. Wishing you the best.
    • See 1 previous
    • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on May 18, 2018
      Hmmm I'm sorry, Willaepperson7. I hope you can figure out what to do. Those were recommendations that I read about in various articles. Perhaps over time, it will get better. Good luck!
  • Oscar Iruegas Oscar Iruegas on May 17, 2018
    USE IT! At this point, use your skillet to cook potatoes, eggs, any fry foods that require oil. Heat and regular use will take care of the rest. I grew weary of seasoning my skillets. Now I just put them to use.
    I would not use the pan until all the soap residue id gone.....
  • Betsy Betsy on May 17, 2018
    Just rewash it. I use soap and water on mine, have been doing it for over 55 years and they are just fine. After washing your pan, wipe it very lightly with oil, wipe the oil out with a paper towel, turn the pan upside down over a gas burner, if you have a gas stove, and let it 'cook' on medium low for about 15 minutes. Let it cool, wipe it out again and put it away until you need to use it. Then, use oil to cook with, or butter, or spray oil. After using, wipe it out with a paper towel while it's still warm and put it away for the next time. If you don't have a gas stove, then put it in the oven, face down, at 400 degrees for an hour or so. Let it cool and proceed as above. All is not lost, it's just scary at first:) You can do this. It may take a few times to season it, but once it's done, you'll love it:) You can do this, just don't be heavy handed with the oil and wipe it out pretty good after the first seasoning and again after it cools. Good luck.
    • Willa Willa on May 18, 2018
      I just never have left it in the oven at 400 for an hour but it is always in my oven turned upside down usually at 350
      for two or three hours while I’m cooking something . Guess I will just keep doing the same thing thank you

• James Williams James Williams on May 18, 2018
    You didn't leave it in the oven long enough or maybe not HOT enough. the idea is to polymerize the oil into a slick coat then just put some oil on it. There are some good website for the care and feeding of cast iron.
    Happy cooking
  • Claudia Angulo Pope Claudia Angulo Pope on May 18, 2018
    I've had same problem...rewash it or even re cook with it. then repeat washing and brush on cooking oil (I prefer using olive oil) with a paper towel or dish rag and let it dry.
  • Betsy Betsy on May 19, 2018
    That should work, just put the oil on lightly, wipe, put it in the oven for whatever time you're cooking something, wipe it out again and it should be just fine. Use butter, oil, bacon grease or whatever when you cook something. 350 is just fine:) You can use one of those plastic scrubbies to wash it if stuff sticks.