AvantiMorocha
AvantiMorocha
  • San Antonio, TX

DIY Wood Plank Wall With Chalk Paint®

$250

Ever since my husband I moved into our home we’ve been on a mission to make every space our own. We started in the dining room, moved into the living room; remodel our bathroom, and has now started tackling the master bedroom. For this space, we needed something big, something with a lot of character. After pondering my options I knew I needed an accent wall. Our home is being transformed with an industrial farmhouse vibe, so a wood plank wall would fit perfectly.

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

Watch the video above to learn how my husband and I made this beautiful wood plank wall. This tutorial will also show you how I used Chalk Paint® to give the new wood a weathered wood look. You could always just follow this step-by-step guide.

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

We used new untreated 5/8" x 5-1/2" x 8' cedar boards from the hardware store. We acclimated the wood in our garage for about a week. After this period my husband plane the wood.

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

He cut the wood planks in three different lengths, 2', 4' and 6'

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

I painted the wood with Chalk Paint® in Old White, Graphite and Coco to give a weathered wood look.

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

When the boards were dry I arranged them in a pseudo brick pattern on the floor to my liking, making it easy to translate my vision onto the wall.

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

Mark the studs with a pencil before nailing the boards. This made it simple to know where to nail. We start placing the board front the top. 

This assures me the first row is going to be a whole board.

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

If you have a light colored wall, I recommend painting it a darker color; we used gray. The darker color will help hide gaps and imperfections in the boards.

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

While we love our custom built wall, there are easier ways to do this. One of the major reasons we went full custom was we didn’t want to spend a couple thousand dollars on this wall. Some of the pre-made materials are expensive and that was simply not in the budget. Yes, going custom is time-consuming but it cost’s a fraction of the pre-made cost. Our master bedroom looks like a million bucks but it didn’t cost that much to make it

I hope you like this DIY. Don’t forget to visit my blog, subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow me on my social media, see you soon chau chau!

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

You may also like this blog post http://www.hometalk.com/39381580/diy-window-bench" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/39381580/diy-window-b...

diy wood plank wall with chalk paint

To see more: https://avantimorocha.com/diy-wood-plank-wall/

• Kellie

Hi, I was wondering about your painting technic. Did you wipe off some of the paint to give the wood the weathered look?

• AvantiMorocha

Hi Kellie,

Yes, I did I wipe off some paint to give it the weathered look. Have you seen the video tutorial? If not, check it out. It shows step by step the technique I used.

• Robin Thomas

O I'm not a diy'er yet. So this may sound silly. I have paneling everywhere. I bought an old trailer and it was popular back then I guess so that being said can I do that with just paneling instead of cedar?

• Sonja

You can paint your paneling. I did it about 20 years ago and it is still holding up. You have to sand it and apply a primer first, so the paint will adhere to the slick surface. You will get a solid painted look. But you could probably use a wood grain tool with some regular paints and a glazes to get a similar wood look. It wont look exactly like the chalk paint though.

Another option if you don't like the paneling is to fill in the grooves of the paneling with dry wall mud to get a smooth "drywalled" look for your walls. Again, I did this about 20 years ago and it is still holding up. Just sand it, filling the cracks by applying a skim coat of drywall mud over the entire surface of the paneling, sand smooth, prime and paint. Granted it is a messy job, but it's fairly cheap and easy. Just remove furniture first and seal off the room and carpet well to make clean up easier.

Hope that helps

• Robin Thomas

Thank you so much Sonja. I'm excited to get rid of that closed in feel and brighten the room up somehow. Have a great day!!:)

• SuSan Tarpley

Beautiful work!

• Sandie Allen

I put wood over my paneled walls. Just mark your studs and make sure you nail into each stud....I didn’t remove the paneling.

• AvantiMorocha

Yes, you can use paneling or put wood over the panel walls.

I love Chalk Paint® it works great with all kinds of materials, the only thing you'll miss if you painted over the paneling is some texture. Check my video on how I updated my ceiling fan, the material of the blades is similar to paneling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEEPukvCsnw

• Dan33516988

I see you added crown moulding to the window. Did you butt the planks to the casing and loose some of the casing profile. Or did you replace the casing with thicker casing to keep profile of window?

• Dalton James Rose

Why did you use new lumber and make it look old when pallet wood already looks weathered? I did my entire wall in less than a day. I used liquid nails and pallets I got for free!

• Kimmie T. Lmt

Nice job looks really nice.

• Nancy Henke

Is pallet wood treated?

• Bessie Gonzales Jester

I luv it..

• Deanna

There is a LOT of work to deconstruct and clean up pallet wood. It probably was more time efficient to buy the wood.

• Marcos N Linda Hinojos

Looks great key word free so time consuming but still free

• AvantiMorocha

@Dalton While we really like the look of pallets, a lot of them are treated with chemicals to preserve the wood and we didn't want to risk having those chemicals in our home, especially in our bedroom. I'm sure there are a lot of places where you can get pallets that may be safe however we decided the risk of being exposed to unknown chemicals was more costly than purchasing new lumber for the project.

• Mary O'Brien Henderson

I agree. For someone who has multiple allergies & sensitive to smells, unknown wood compared to new wood without chemicals is a no-brainer. I have ideas for pallets but haven't tried yet as am not positive I want to take the risk in my gardening projects.

• Ursula Hosea

Great job,love the gray look.

About the pallets i think it's okay to use them for outside protects

I wouldn't invest all that cleaning for inside either.

Free or not 😏

• Teresa Jennings

Will definitely do this! Did you use more than one color of chalk paint?

• Guy

It looks great! Why did you seal the unexposed side (wall side)?

• AvantiMorocha

Primarily because we had extra primer but it's not necessary especially if the wood you're using is pretty dry.

• Janet Batchelder

At what store did you find this paint ? I would like to do my kitchen cabinets with chalk paint , but something like a farmhouse grayish color with Alittle brown, then do something with the wood walls.

• Donna

I've seen it at Home Depot. They have white and grey. They did say it can be custome colored.

• AvantiMorocha

I used Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan in Old White, Graphite and Coco. Lots of copycats exist, and you’ll find a mess of misleading products at the box stores but don’t be fooled by these wannabes. Chalk Paint® isn’t the cheapest product, but nothing on the market even comes close in terms of coverage and quality. With Chalk Paint®, you’re getting what you paid for and the proof will be in the amazing results. Check their site to see where you can find it in your town. https://www.anniesloan.com/

• Tim Rogers

I don't get why you had to antique the wood you never see behind the rock. Did I misread? Why put the boards up at all? Can't the rocks be placed directly against drywall?

Signed,

Amazed, but confused

• Barbara Harvey Taylor

CAN chalk paint be washed like gloss or is like flat paint

• AvantiMorocha

It can be washed, but you need to use the wax, at least two coats. If you don't want to change the color you got you need to use clear wax.

• Elaina Abandola Bradford

How much did it cost to do that whole wall wa how much did it cost to do that whole wall

• AvantiMorocha

I'll say between $250 - $300. We covered a large area about 160 sq.ft.

• Deborah Stoll Allen

Why would you want to cover the natural cedar wood don't get me wrong it looks great but me personally I wouldn't cover the natural wood then you have the cedar smell from the wood as well

• AvantiMorocha

Hi, It was just my preference. I like the weathered wood look. By the way, cedar boards from the hardware store will only keep the smell for one or two weeks regardless of you paint them or not.

• Allison Newby

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with your comment about the cedar boards losing their smell due to the fact that in my great grandparents home the majority was made of pine and the closet was made of cedar. That cedar closet smells wonderful to this day. So yeah, cedar planks will definitely keep their cedar smell. Maybe better in a closet than a large room but still they will smell of cedar. Enjoy your wall. It is a great accent piece. I think I might try this with some joint compound and a stamp then paint however I wish. Same results , except the smell and could be a bit cheaper. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Jody Sippl

Why, because that's what she wanted. And she should be proud! If you like some thing different, than do it and post it.

• AvantiMorocha

@Allison, the boards use in closets are from a specific kind of wood that is aromatic cedar and keeps the smell and it's also more expensive. It's not the same than the cedar boards I got at the hardware store.

• AvantiMorocha

@Jody. I'm really proud. I love it. It goes with my esthetic.

• Arose4cherry

I love what you did, you have inspired me to do the same! I have a much smaller room but if it turns out anything like yours it will be amazing. Thank you for sharing.

• Robin Woodworth

Meow! I love the wall! It beautiful!!!

• AvantiMorocha

You're welcome :)

• Stacy Ann

Gorgeous!!!! Great job! You have inspired us to do the same!

• Elc33022989

Can you do that on the floor?