Nancy Ludwig
Nancy Ludwig
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Ocean Shores, WA

Repurposed Bath Sheet to Bath Mat

Bath Sheets are expensive, but my tall hubby loves them. He keeps asking me for a new bath math, and I just can’t seem to remember. Sunday I was struck with a solution to both our issues. Just create a new one out of one of his old bath (towels) sheets.
before cutting anything, I embroidered an initial on it.
You will fold the towel in half, right sides together. Stitch straight across between the looped towel part and the decorative end.
I then used my pinking sheers to cut the decorative pieces off, one layer at a time (Due to the thickness).
Turn the towel inside out. Smooth it out. Now stitch a 1 inch boarder all the way around the outer perimeter.
To mat it, choose a design you like and stitch the entire mat. My design began in one of the lower corners, sewing just between the stitch lines on the boarder in one inch widths. When you get to the next stitch line, needle down, turn and stitch along the existing border an inch, turn and create another diagonal line. I made about 14 lines from the corner. Move to the next bottom corner, repeat the process. Then the top corners. You will just Stitch between lines as you did on the bottom. It won’t be the border, but other diagonal lines. Continue switching corners until all filled with lines.
The finished product has a nice design. You can create your own design. Stitch just diagonal lines, or vertical lines. Or do both to create squares.
And if you have a quilting machine, that would be a great design too.

Oh and the boarder I cut off, made six great car washing pads, when doubled and stitched together.

• Pam Davis

How often do you end up washing it?

And where it isn't water proof do you have wet floors after?

Thank you :)

• Karen Thornton

I was wondering the same thing. I understand using them in public showers such as at a gym or public pool or something, but your own bath tub/shower? I wash mine so I don't see a need for that. That's a great way of slipping and falling though.

• Doris

What keeps it from sliding

• Natalie Knowles Weems

Use a little hot glue in dots or swirls or lines . when you wash do not use dryer if you use hot glue.

This is a great non skid medium.

• Beccie Therrien

Do you have a special needle or foot that you use for sewing because of the thickness?

Great idea! Thanks for sharing 😁

• Carol Marszalek

Needles for Denim are heavy weight enough to do the job. To make it “slip” proof, put some evenly placed hot glue “buttons” on the back.

• Lau33518383

No question just brilliant and beautiful job. You should be very proud!

• Shirley

What a great recycle project. I never thought of reusing towels in this manner, but I will now. Thanks for the great tip.