How to Paint Tile Floors With a Stencil

$100

Don't didn’t rip out the old tile and install some new ones – painted & seal the original tile with chalk style paint, a stencil, and some Varathane sealant! Read on to learn how I painted this floor tile and how you can too.
how to paint tile floors with a stencil
First, I sanded the original tile with an orbital sander to make it rough so it would accept paint better. Then, I cleaned it thoroughly with a de-greaser.

how to paint tile floors with a stencil
Next, I taped off the trim and baseboards around my tile area with painter’s tape.

how to paint tile floors with a stencil
Then, I put some  Chalked Paint in Charcoal in a paint tray and used a small paint brush to paint over the grout lines and into the edges of my tiled area. I decided to use chalk style paint because I like how it sticks well to surfaces, but if you use a regular latex paint you should prime your tiles with an oil based primer before painting.

how to paint tile floors with a stencil
Next, I took a high density foam roller and painted all of the tiles with the Charcoal Chalked paint. I ended up painting them with two coats of paint.
how to paint tile floors with a stencil
Now comes the fun (but time consuming) part! Cutting Edge Stencils sent me this beautiful  Santa Ana Tile Stencil to try for free, and I thought it would be the perfect pattern for this area. Once my base coat was really dry (I waited a day), I taped the stencil down onto the tile with painter’s tape. Using a foam roller with a very small amount of Linen White Chalked paint on it, I painted carefully over the stencil.
how to paint tile floors with a stencil
I started in the corner of my tiled area, and stenciled every other tile, let those dry, and then completed the rest of the tiles.
how to paint tile floors with a stencil
Some of the tiles were really hard to stencil – like the corner tiles and the ones around the feet of the wood stove – so I took a small craft paint brush and touched up any areas that needed it with some more white paint.

how to paint tile floors with a stencil
Once the tiles had dried thoroughly, I sealed everything with Varathane polyurethane in a satin finish. I’d recommend doing at least two coats, maybe three, of sealant to protect your beautiful paint job.
Christina Dennis

• Linda Baxter

Being being this is around the wood stove what happens when you actually use the wood stove and it becomes very hot how does it affect the floor then?

• Mary Parsley

Looks real nice

fine job

my question is what kinda sealer did u use r do have to ?!

• Dianna

Once the tiles had dried thoroughly, I sealed everything with Varathane polyurethane

• Jackie Yalung- Bruner

Can you do this on kitchen counter tiles, too?