I have squirrels destroying everything I plant. HELP!!!!!

+6
  • Kashmere Jones Kashmere Jones on May 18, 2018
    outside your home? What exactly are they doing.
  • Tanne Tanne on May 18, 2018
    Me too they dig up bedding plants in flower beds. They dig little holes all over the lawn and when they get tired of that they sit and look in window waiting for me to fill bird feeders. After stuffing themselves they begin again. Digging little holes every where, daylight to dark.
    • Ham51302042 Ham51302042 on May 24, 2021

I'm having the same problem. I think they've gone crazy. I put eggs in the flower bed with a drinking glass over them. This has worked every year, until this year....and suddenly nothing bothers them this year. They have dug my flowers up to bury their nuts that the neighbors keep feeding them. I have green beans planted and this morning I went out to water everything and found that they had dug up the seeds. I just set down and cried.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 18, 2018
    Yes, please let us know exactly what they are doing...are they digging, are they biting , are they eating things?
  • Betsy Betsy on May 20, 2018
    You can make a mixture of 16 oz of water and a bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil, same thing, in a spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it around your plants. It smells nice, but tastes horrible. It's non-toxic, so it won't hurt anything or any one. You can buy the oil at any candy making store or your local grocery store may carry it. It's about 2 inches tall and only costs a couple of bucks. Also, try feeding the squirrels in another area. Good luck!
  • Alice Alice on May 22, 2018
    To guard an individual plant, create a cage using hardware cloth or chicken wire topped with plastic bird netting; use clothespins to hold netting in place. Keep netting handy by clipping pieces to stakes throughoutthe garden.

While you might find the scent of coffee delicious, squirrels don't. A light layer of coffee grounds around hibiscus plants can keep them from being the pests' next meal. Just sprinkle some fresh grounds on the soil surrounding the plants to keep squirrels away. Every two weeks, add a new layer of grounds.

Home Remedies for Squirrels
    • Safflower. Safflower seeds are bitter in taste, and squirrels don't like them. ...
    • Motion Activated Sprinklers. If you have squirrels in your garden, then it is a good method to get rid of them. ...
    • Strobe Lights. ...
    • Squirrel Trap. ...
    • Hot Peppers. ...
    • Moth Balls. ...
    • Jalapeno Pepper. ...
    Cayenne / Chili Pepper.