How to Make a Giant DIY Wall Clock...from a Tabletop

$75

Looking for a statement piece for your home?? This is it!! Giant wall clocks are pretty popular online - on a stair case wall, over a mantel, as part of a gallery wall - the problem is they can be pretty pricey - unless of course you make it yourself!!

I don't know about you, but I see these little round four top tables pretty often. This one in fact was found on the side of the road by a friend who couldn't resist rescuing it for me.  They are a little too small for most families, so I thought I'd turn it into something completely different! Here's what I did!

I sanded the table top to raw wood using my pad sander and 80 grit sandpaper. 

I wanted this to have a bleached wood look without actually bleaching the wood, so I grabbed my can of General Finishes Winter White Glaze, a rag and gloves and applied the glaze - wiping it off immediately.

It gave the oak veneer the coolest look! Don't you think??

Once the glaze was dry, it was time to add the roman numerals. These rusty numbers are so much fun, I love the character they give the clock!

I weighted each number as the glue was drying. This looks ridiculous, I know, but we don't have rocks in our yard, so I grabbed anything heavy I could. Lol!

This should go without saying, but check and double check your numbers BEFORE gluing them down. 

Also make sure the numbers line up straight across, straight up and down, etc. Those numbers being off will drive you batty otherwise. 

When the numbers were in their proper order, I drilled a hole directly through the middle for the clock hands and mechanism. Here is a handy pice of advice, get as long of a shaft as you can. It will save you some time!

The shaft I purchased wasn't quite long enough, so I used a hammer and chisel (and later my Dremel Multi Max) to create a space for the clock mechanism to fit into.

This step takes a little time to get the right depth for the clock box to fit into on the back of the clock. 

Here's the finished clock - isn't it fabulous?!

Here's the wood stained version of it - I used rusty hands for this clock.

Next time you see one of those little tables at a thrift shop or on the road side, grab it and use some imagination to make a giant wall clock! 

Click on my blog link to see more of my project

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/giantdiywallclock

Also, be sure to follow my Facebook page @rootsandwingsfurniture for the latest tutorials, helpful tips and creative support!

Watch the full tutorial!

Until next time, stay creative!! 

Jenni Ingram

• Deb

Where did you find the numbers & hands big enough for the table top?

• Sandy

Sorry😒I was curious regarding the diameter. I would like to find a 44” round table. Your clock looks great.

• Beth

Did you remove any of the original varnish from the table top before applying the new paint?

• Bev Warren

I'll definitely try this project. I've been packing around a 48" circle of wood that I'll use. Will cut the numbers out of a thin wood & give them a finished look. What a fun project this will be. Thanks for sharing

• Maureen

Great idea 👍 the giant clock looks awesome. You saved so much money by using a free table.