Ants- any effective ant killer?

Debbie/Dragonfly TreasureBetsyMillie
+6

We refuse to use chemicals on our small farm. Unfortunately we have learned that some ants can kill some plants. We tried crushed orange peel, which was effective but expensive... is there any other effective natural ant killer... or deterent... as we hate to kill anything.

• Bijous
    Bijous

Cornmeal or grits. They can't digest it. Just don't put too much down. The bird will try to eat it too. Good luck.
  • Many say cornmeal works. Might be worth a try. I do not have a farm, but do not chemicals because of pets and children. Vinegar worked for me as long as it was not amongst plants. See if any of these help!

• Suze P
    Suze P

Try using ashes from fireplace. Sprinkle anywhere you see ants. Put around plants, doorways ,Windows. Ants won't cross barrier.
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

Try placing small containers of Borax, water and sugar around. They will take it back to their nests.
  • 2dogal
    2dogal

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth!! The absolute best! Inexpensive and even kills fire ants. If you have mounds, ring the mounds thickly with DE. The ants will walk through it to get to the nest and it will kill the queen.
  • Millie
    Millie

sprinkle borax mixed with sugar in dry weather.
    Betsy

Make a mix of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix well and put around the spots they are in your garden, or inside your home, it's harmless to people and pets. You can put it in a bottle, like a pill bottle or something like that. Cut a hole on the edge of the cap, and lay the bottle on it's side so the ants can come in and get the mix. They will take it back to the nest and it should kill them. I'd keep it out there all season if you can. The mix makes a gas and the ants can't pass gas, so it kills them. Anything else that eats it will just taste the baking soda and say "Yuck" and walk off. It won't hurt anything that can pass gas, so it's completely safe.
  • Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure
    Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

I use packaged cornbread mix that says it is sweetened and put it where they are. They will take it to the mound, everyone will eat it and die, they can't digest the cornmeal, but will take it because it is sweetened. Little goes a long way.

I read this from : Itsmemic

Medicated powder from the Dollar Tree. It has eucalyptus in it...menthol...I puff it around my homes foundation..and inside under my birdcages in the cracks under moldings. Work immediately and they never come back. I do this at the first sign of ants..in one day..GONE. The powder is in a very large container and lasts quite awhile too !! And smells great !

Not toxic to my birds OR dog

What if you make a barrier around the house.

I did some research, since we know what works for one person doesn't always work for another. I found this site and it's pretty informative. I know some tips you may not be able to use but there are some good ones also that will hopefully help.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-ants/view-all/

Ants are so weird. One time I found them inside the freezer in the garage!! What would possess them to go inside a freezer only to die? They must have sent signals back or something ~ there were no ant trails only a freezer full of dead ants. Hasn't happened since.

Ant Spray - https://www.hometalk.com/31195184/cheap-easy-homemade-ant-spray?