DIY Tile Coasters With Napkin Decoupage, Easy DIY Home Decor Craft

$15

Making the wicker chairs and milk can bistro set had me thinking about how to make coasters out of ceramic tiles. I love blue and white for our deck and formal living room, so I decided to try to make some coasters that have the look similar to a blue chinoiserie vase. That way, I could use them both indoors on the end tables and out on the patio. These blue and white napkins look like they would be the perfect thing to decoupage with!
I cut the napkin square slightly larger than the tile, and separated the three ply into one ply. Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the tile with the small brush. My tiles were simple white 4"x4", purchased for 17 cents each at Lowes.
I used this awesome tip from plaidonline.com (the makers of Mod Podge) of using plastic wrap to apply and smooth out napkins when decoupaging. Simply lay the napkin face down on the plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to move and position the napkin on the ceramic tile, smoothing out as needed. This makes it way easier to maneuver the fragile napkin. Gently peel the plastic wrap off when you have the napkin where you want it.

Let the napkin dry on the tile, and apply a coat to the top. Once dry, I gently ripped off the excess napkin downward from the edges and checked the sides for any loose spots.

Apply one more coat of modpodge to the top and edges of the coasters. I found that pushing the napkin down against the edges and sealing it to the sides with Mod Podge turned out prettier than sanding off the sides.
Once dry, cut the cork to a square slightly smaller than the ceramic tiles and glue to the bottom of the coaster tiles with a thin coat of E6000 glue. I put something heavy on top of the cork well the glue set. There are also small cork adhesive squares available in the perfect size to eliminate the need for cutting or glue. The last step is to seal the modpodge after it fully cures with a spray sealer to ensure the modpodge is not tacky when used as a coaster.
These little coasters are so pretty, and such an easy DIY home decor craft. I love that you can make them to match any decor by finding the perfect "fancy napkin". You could even decoupage monogram letters to the top to make custom gifts for a wedding or housewarming.

I am going to use these napkins for all sorts of fun decoupage crafts! I am hoping to use them to make matching vases for the mantle next! Visit the original post below for more details on this project, such as the best types of Mod Podge for coasters, and coaster sealing requirements for different types of Mod Podge!

Joy Elizabeth

• Marnidarr

Does Modge Podge hold up to condensation from glasses, or are these mainly to be used with coffee cups and such? Very pretty, BTW.

• Joy Elizabeth

That is true, the condensation just rests on top after they are sealed.

• Aparna Ananth

I decoupaged a lot of ceramic tiles last weekend with scrapbook paper & glittered them. I sprayed a clear acrylic sealer about 2 coats.

Can I make the heat redistant by spraying the rustoleum high heat on top of these..?

• Joy Elizabeth

Hi Aparna!

I am not sure if the high heat would add further protection. I think the only concern would be that the high heat sealer adhered well to the acylic sealer. If you try it, I would love to hear how it works! Mine don't get used for anything hotter than a cup of coffee, but so far they are holding up with just the spray sealer. :)

• Diane

I did not understand how the corners were handled. How did you them.