Bleach-stained Red Bathtub Turned Sparkling White Again

$5

Now I now what you'll say. Wash your bathtub every week, instead of once every six years and you won't get a filthy bath. I know, I know. But here is what really happened... I went to clean some yellow streaks I noticed on the side of my bathtub and I decided I should probably try using bleach. Now I didnt know however what bleach will do to my old porcelain tub with a ferrous (iron) component. Now I don't know whether it was the hard water as well, or something else, but when I poured the bleach and came back a few hours later I was shocked to see my bathtub resembled a crime scene. My natural reaction was to turn the water on and scrub. I scrubbed and scrubbed to no avail. At this point I panicked and thought I permanently damaged our bathtub. I started doing research and came across hydrogen peroxide which some online users claimed it work. I got it in a spray bottle as this is the easiest way to distribute it evenly. Instant results followed!
Caution: Don't tell me I didn't warn you about this - Open the windows and DO NOT INHALE The CHLORINE GAS.
Before and After Image
The Product I Used
The Rusty Stains immediately after I sprayed them
The rusty stains 2 minutes later
The rusty stains 10 minutes later.

Lana Jane Fox

• Judy

I have a story for you. We have an older porceline tub,iron. We got a hair clog,and my husband thought he had the answer,he poured a commercial lye base product down the drain. He forgot about it. I began to smell an odor. Well the lye exploded in the tub,ours looked like a rust bomb had gone off. It cost me $425.00 to get it cleaned and tub resurfaced.

• Michael

Commercial lye and acid based products lay in your pipes and eventually it eats the bottom of the pipe. That's when it gets expensive. Get a plumber to snake the drains.

• Marlene

OMG.