Bleach-stained Red Bathtub Turned Sparkling White Again

$5

Now I now what you'll say. Wash your bathtub every week, instead of once every six years and you won't get a filthy bath. I know, I know. But here is what really happened... I went to clean some yellow streaks I noticed on the side of my bathtub and I decided I should probably try using bleach. Now I didnt know however what bleach will do to my old porcelain tub with a ferrous (iron) component. Now I don't know whether it was the hard water as well, or something else, but when I poured the bleach and came back a few hours later I was shocked to see my bathtub resembled a crime scene. My natural reaction was to turn the water on and scrub. I scrubbed and scrubbed to no avail. At this point I panicked and thought I permanently damaged our bathtub. I started doing research and came across hydrogen peroxide which some online users claimed it work. I got it in a spray bottle as this is the easiest way to distribute it evenly. Instant results followed!
Caution: Don't tell me I didn't warn you about this - Open the windows and DO NOT INHALE The CHLORINE GAS.
bleach stained red bathtub turned sparkling white again, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips
Before and After Image
The Product I Used
The Rusty Stains immediately after I sprayed them
The rusty stains 2 minutes later
The rusty stains 10 minutes later.

Lana Jane Fox

• Naomi Calovini

Is 3% standard peroxide or is it something different?

• Lana

When I worked for a veterinarian and would occasionally get blood on my colored scrubs, we would dab some peroxide on the spot and it would be gone. It was dry before it got laundered.

• Donna Helmick

Would this also kill and remove mold in a shower?

• Dee

If you have tile in your shower, put bleach in a spray bottle and spray it on the mold and it will clear it up. Turn your fan on and have a window open.

• Tanya Willavize

Will this work on a plastic tub surround

• Joyce

Thank you!

Not my tub, but I had an incident on my counter top and have stains. I will definitely try this and see if it will clean it. I had spilled some bleach and thought I wiped it all up, but I missed a few areas.

• Patti Nicholas

Proof positive that doing actual research BEFORE cleaning something saves a lot of time and effort. I wish everyone would stop getting all their cleaning advise from advertising campaigns. Bleach DOESN'T mean clean, it doesn’t work on every surface and most of the surfaces you are using it on it’s not doing what you think it is. Hydrogen Peroxide is a MUCH better and safer choice.