Beautiful Area Carpets on a Budget

$34

I wanted some new area rugs for my bedroom, but since my whole house was a total gut job I couldn’t afford new.
This is what I did
I went to a couple of local carpet stores looking for remnants. I found one that was just the exact color I want for my bedroom. It was actually big enough to cut into two pieces
beautiful area carpets on a budget
Picture shows one of the carpet pieces after cutting. Pretty easy to cut. Turn it over and mark with a black felt pen and cut with utility razor knife
Carpet salesman said he was going to throw it out but I could have for $20. Well I only had $17 in cash and he didn’t want to use my card so he let me have it for $17.
I asked him how much to bind the carpet and he said $145 to bind 2 rugs.
I didnt want to spend that much money. So I searched on the internet to see if you could bind a rug DIY. There were a couple ideas. But this is what I came up with.
beautiful area carpets on a budget
I decided to use braided trim that you can find in a fabric store. This is only an example of what I used but in a different color. Mine is powder blue.
I was very lucky and found the exact color I wanted on clearance for $1 yard. I bought 17 yards for $17. Joann Fabricd carries it and you could wait until you have a 50% coupon.
beautiful area carpets on a budget
All I did was hot glue the braid on the edge of the carpet. Was a little tricky with the hot glue. Burned my fingers a little. But managed to hot glue all the way around. Hot glue around the end of braid before you cut it where it will meet the beginning of the braid, so it doesn’t unravel. It’s almost unnoticeable where the two ends meet.
beautiful area carpets on a budget
This is a close up of finished carpet with the braided edge. It looks great. Way better that when carpet company binds a rugs
beautiful area carpets on a budget
Finished large carpet. I did put an old queen sheet underneath to keep the back of the carpet from scratching the floor. I don’t like the rubberized carpet mat because leaves a rubber residue on the floor
beautiful area carpets on a budget
Picture of both carpets in the room.
Once when I was vacuuming I caught a little piece of the braid but was able to just reglue it right back on. Can’t even tell.

• Maria Vivier

Home Depot sells the binding to finish the raw edges of the carpet. I bought it and it worked great

• Erica

Is there a difference in the braided trim and just using a rope??

• Joy

love love love the bed & bedspread

• Ramona

WOW! 👌

Your area rugs look SO nice..

Elegant and finished come to mind.

What a brilliant idea!

Ty for sharing. ♡

• Becky Accashian

Clever & looks great!