Adding Built Ins Around Our Fireplace

$1500

We redid our existing fireplace with new tile and floating mantle, then installed built ins around our fireplace to add functional storage and display space to our living room. We saved around $5,000 by doing this ourselves. Amazing!! FInd out how much we spent instead on the blog post: adding built ins around our fireplace.
adding built ins around our fireplace
First, we demoed the existing fireplace. See those cubby shelves? That was our only storage before this project. What an upgrade these built ins provided!
adding built ins around our fireplace
We installed new cement board and moved on to tiling our fireplace.
adding built ins around our fireplace
With the tile and shiplap up, we installed support for the floating mantle.
adding built ins around our fireplace
Next, we moved onto the built ins. We added a base support for our cabinets to sit on.
adding built ins around our fireplace
The countertops went on the cabinets, then we moved on to the bookshelves.
adding built ins around our fireplace
First, the vertical sides of the shelving were screwed into a 2x4 support on the ceiling. We used painters tape to visualize where the horizontal shelves would go.
adding built ins around our fireplace
Next, we moved onto installing the horizontal shelves, and sanded, painted and touched up the shelves with white paint.
adding built ins around our fireplace
Last but not least, we installed the trim and mantle, and decorated! What a difference! Best of all, the storage is FUNCTIONAL for our young family! IF you love this project, pin it to your DIY board to read again later.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 08, 2018 10:45 PM - More info
Molly - My Sweet Lilac

• Marrianne Rudy

I loved the frame around it in the before photos.....wanna send it to me?? :) I have 4 bookshelves to go on either side of my tv, putting in a wood burning "Hobbit" stove so that gorgeous mantle would be perfect! I do love your update though.....clean lines are always beautiful!