Dear Hometalk: How Can I Brighten up My Old, Dated Brick Wall?

$30
1 Day

If you watched our previous episode you saw how we transformed my parent's kitchen cabinets. The next step was whitewashing & texturizing the brick to take their kitchen to the next level!

Before
You can see how we painted their cabinets here!

With the new, bright cabinets, it became even clearer that we really needed to tackle that dark, red brick next.

All of the materials for this project were found my parent's garage! So it was nearly free - but estimated cost would be $20-$50 depending on the supplies you choose!
The brick in their house is a faux half brick that was already installed when they moved in. My mom was dreaming of the perfect white wash but really didn't want it to turn pink so we were very mindful of that during the whole process.
First things first, remove all items from the countertop & lay a tarp to protect the floor. Next, we cleaned the brick by rubbing a broom in-between the grooves to remove any dust or spider webs.
After that, we gathered the paint - they had some black & white leftover from some other projects in the house so that's what we used!

We had 3 containers: one full of black, one full of grey & one with the whitewash paint. (Which is white paint mixed with water - about 2/3 paint 1/3 water).
We then cut a large grout sponge into 4 sections. (You can use any kind of sponge this is just one they had in their garage).
After that, we painted on a few "test bricks" from a box my mom found in the garage to see how the paint was going to react. We tested a few there & took what we learned over to a section on the wall behind where the trashcan sits.

This is a great thing to keep in mind - you'll want to test it out! You won't know how it's going to look when it's actually painted until you try it out & see! From here we were able to tackle the rest of the wall!
We decided that the original grout was too dark so we started by brushing white paint into the grout followed by rolling white paint over the brick to reduce any pink areas! Rollers & a paintbrush did the overall trick - but we got detailed & used a toothbrush for those hard to reach sections. Let this dry for a few minutes.
Next, add some texture! We sponged on some black & grey paint spacing it out on the wall so no two colors were clumped together & let it dry.
Next, we grabbed the white washing solution & sponged it on & rubbed off the excess with a wet rag. The great thing about this technique is you can add more or less of each color - You can add more black or grey depending on the the effect you are wanting & if it's too dark for you in some areas you can always add more white washing solution!

Keeping a wet rag with you is very important to make sure any drips don't damage the countertop. You could also add a drop-cloth to it but we decided the rag would do the trick!

After you're happy with your ratio of dark & light areas, let it dry & you're done!

Total transformation!

The cabinets were already such a shocking makeover, but this really brought the kitchen to the next level! The whitewashing really brightened up the room & made it so much more open!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Check out the video to see the makeover in action!

20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas

• Ruf48728135

Is it easy to clean?

• Vee

NOOOOO! Unless you paint the brick and grout with that rubberized-waterproof sealant! It is still Brick. Bricks have little cracks, holes, rough ridges. Perfect for collecting all of the airborne oils, and dust, et al. It is easier to clean if painted, but still not an easy to live with kitchen.

• K Sandman

Did you not do the black/gray above the cabinets? Looks like it’s only done on the bricks below the cabinets.

• Ellen Bertelsen

My question too. Adding the texturing to the upper bricks would add dimension and visual interest, I think. But I sure like what was done on the lower bricks.

• Jpj32757734

I have dated grey plastic tile and plaid wallpaper (I think washable) - how could I paint or redo this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Imjhale

You could always use a primer made especially for plastic, then paint as in this project

• Sam

it is most difficult to keep clean in a kitchen. been there, done that.

but if you do like it. don't do it above the cabinets. it just doe snot look right.

saw that done too. looks fake that way.

• Refrigerator guide

One of the most difficult talk. Know more