Easy Stenciling on an Old Window

$3
1 Day

I have several old windows frames that I have upcycled into window displays for suncatchers! This is my latest one
I started with an old window frame. It is yucky ! It must be cleaned, sanded down, painted and I will add some glass too!
When I was scraping the paint off I noticed a crack in the wood that needed to be fixed before I painted. A little wood glue and some clamps will fix that and while that is drying I went on scraping and sanding. All of that took about 3 hours. Whew done with that part  !
Next...
I have upcycled several of these old windows and saved the glass panes from the others. The glass is thin and will break very easily which is why only a few pieces have survived through the years. Cleaning them will be a careful chore so as not to break the only pieces I have left! I used a razor blade (be careful, very sharp) and with Windex to get off all the old caulk and paint. I put the glass to the side while I painted the frame.
I went brown to match the fall colors inside the house. I did 3 coats of nutmeg brown (acrylic). Let dry between each coat. I then put in the glass with an all purpose adhesive caulk (Loctite). I let that dry overnight and it drys clear!
The next morning I painted some medallions on each piece of glass. I was looking for some privacy since it would be hanging in the front window. I love different, original, not the norm, stuff you just don't see that often or not at all ! I also like to keep my curtains open all day and let the sunshine through so painting something on the glass would achieve what I wanted.
I picked out a few stencils of medallions that would fit on the pane of glass. I recently bought a few stencils from Amazon for just a few dollars ( the one you see in this picture). I'm really not a stencil person but this was so easy and quick to do! Instant gratification with some Unicorn SPiT! I stenciled each pane with different colors and applied with a round sponge brush. I would dip the sponge into a few colors then dab the sponge to the side before I applied the stain to the stencil. Less paint on the sponge works better when stenciling! After all the stenciling was finished I let it dry for about 15 minutes and then sprayed a crystal clear paint over the stencil work. It has a slight frost look to it!
I tried to get a picture of that but it was just not showing up

Well almost finished! I only put in 4 glass panes because I also wanted to hang these pretty crystal balls in there too!
I screwed in 2 big hooks on the top of the frame for hanging along with 2 little hooks in the open parts for the crystal balls!
All finished and ready to hang up! It is just what I wanted! It goes great with my other upcycled windows I already have hanging in the other living room windows !!
You can kind of see the haze from the spray paint in this pic.
Any questions and all comments are welcomed! Thanks for taking a look at my upcycled old window frames!!

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home

• Karen Hurst

Can you use any type of paint on windows? Glass? I am on a very tight budget but I do have a few small bottles of acrylic paint from Wal-Mart and Michael's crafting paint. Can that be used? Yours turned out so pretty I want to try it too

• Jennifer

I used Unicorn SPiT on this one and sealed with a clear satin spray paint. Here is another one I did with acrylic and some transparent spray paint and I still sealed with a clear gloss. I have found any paint will work on glass as long as you seal it!

• G

love this. I wonder if you didn’t seal it if you could take it off so you could replace it with something else. I have a long window by my front door & was thinking maybe I could change it for the seasons. What do you think?

• Jennifer

Oh yes you can do that with a mix of mod podge and acrylic paint! I know because I've done it before. Heavy on the mod podge and a straight razor blade and it will peel right off, be careful so as not to mess up whatever your design is and with the blade of course ! You can store them on some wax paper in a cool dry place. When you want to reuse them I used the microwave for just a few seconds while they were still on the wax paper, peel it off and put on the glass !

They don't last forever though, I did get a few seasons out of some leafs I made for the fall and flowers for the spring! I hope that helps you out and I bet you could find the right mix instructions on Hometalk.com or Pinterest Thank you G!