Light Your Table on Fire... (Seriously!)

$120
1 Day

When the weather's warm, parties tend to migrate to the outdoors. And what hotter way to enjoy your time outside than around an oh-so modern Fire Table. I absolutely love the look...but not the hefty price tag. It's easy to make your own - one that will be the envy of your friends, but at a fraction of the retail cost.
Here’s your supply list:
·          One metal table with removable middle tile.  I found this square metal table with slate tiles and a removable umbrella support at my local close out store for only $90
·         Metal planter – you can find these anywhere – discount store, home improvement, etc, just make sure it’s lightweight and metal
·         Metal wire – while you can purchase bendable wire, I used a metal hanger.  They come free with my dry cleaning!
·         Wire mesh – I found this at a home improvement store.  It’s typically used for landscaping.
·         Lava rock – I chose lava rock because it went along with the ‘fire’ theme…and I happened to already have it in my backyard.  Another freebee!
·         Cans of gel fuel.  While there are a few different brands on the market, I’ll be doing a future video on making your own! 
·         Glass – either purchase cut to size or reuse existing glass.  I found mine in the perfect size in vintage windows!  You’ll need four to complete your surround.
·         Clear silicone
·         Wood corner pieces – cut to size and painted to match your table
·         A box or some other ‘mold’ to help you form your 90 degree corners for your glass surround.  You’ll see why in a minute!

Have everything you need?  Let’s get started!  

First, remove the middle tile/piece from the table - mine is held in by screws.  I'll be using these screw holes to suspend the metal planter shortly.

Drill holes in the metal planter.  Make sure the holes are big enough for your wire/hanger to pass through and that they are positioned for easy hanging from the screw holes.
Run the wire through the planter's new holes and suspend via the table's screw holes.  Make sure the planter hangs just under the level of the table.

Cut the mesh to size, just enough to catch the lip all the way around.  You'll want it to sit snug and not fall in.
Create the glass surround.  Use the box as a mold to hold two panes of glass and make a 90 degree corner.  I found this to be so much easier than trying to make a 90 degree angle on my own.  Run a thick bead of silicone down the inside corner to hold the glass.  Let dry.  Do the same thing with the other two panes of glass.  Once everything is dry, stand up both sets together to make a square.

Use the silicone to affix the corner trim to each corner on the outside.  I used masking tape to keep the trim in place until the silicone dried.  Silicone on the inside and outside will hold the surround together and since it dries clear, it's not noticeable.
Once the silicone is dried, you are ready to assemble the table!
Place a can of gel fuel inside the planter (watch my YouTube 'On The Fly...DIY Gel Fuel' video on making a DIY version that saves you money!). If you purchased gel fuel, make sure the label is off prior to this step.

With the can inside the planter, place your mesh on top and then your glass surround on top of that.  Place lava rock on top of the mesh, covering the mesh almost completely.  You'll want to leave a circle of mesh in the middle so the air can reach your fuel and for the flame to come up.

Lighting it is the fun part!  Light the end of an uncooked spaghetti noodle and stick the end down through the mesh and into the gel fuel.  It should light immediately!
That's it!  One amazing Fire Table that will be heart of the party and the center of attention...all without breaking the bank!

OnTheFly...DIY

• DeniseW

How do you put the flame out? Do you have to let all the fuel be used up?

• Wynne Wigderson

Hmmm... on the Hometalk page I got, where you list supplies, it shows pillows!?.. it must be a typo bc I can’t imagine how the pillows fit in... lol

• Ted Capacillo

Won’t there be a risk of the glass breaking because of its proximity to the heat from the flames?

• Bev

would tempered glass make any difference to eliminate the worry of the glass possibly breaking?

• Morgan

Why would you not use tempered glass for safety's sake? Whenever I see these kinds of tables with glass around a fire box in stores, the glass is always tempered glass.

• Patricia Gomez

• Stephany

This looks so awesome! Unfortunately my patio table is glass top but my livingroom set has a coffee table with a top just like this. Perhaps a modified version for romantic evenings or small get togethers? (Sans children and pets of course.) I see this is an older post so the original poster isn't answering current questions but if anyone has tried this I'd really like to know if the metal box gets hot at all before I would try it.