Your Wish is My Command...Challenge

$30
1 Day

I could be in a commercial for Command Hooks. Love them! I just don’t love the price, In this post I am going to share to ways I have recently used Command Hooks and Command Velcro Strips. I recently used some scrap lumber and made a frame to go around my bathroom mirror. I did not want to drill holes or drive nails into wall. I purchased strips that stated they were for Upton 16 pounds. No way did my boards weigh that much, but I wanted to sure the boards would stay in place. I also purchased Command Hooks to use on the outside on my vinyl fence. I bought hooks for 12 pounds and same story, no way the stars weighted even a pound.
I laid out my painted and dry distressed boards along with the Command Velcro Strips.
I followed the directions and cleaned both surfaces with alcohol. I allowed about 30 minutes to make sure both the wall and the boards were throughly dried From using they alcohol for cleaning.
Next, I placed the velcro strips together and peeled the paper off of the side that went on the back of the wood. I use two set of Velcro sticks for each board. Then I peeled of the paper that went on the wall side and pressed the wood on to the wall, holding it in place for about 45 second.
your wish is my command challenge
To begin, I searched through my box of Command items. I look for these things to go on sale or for discountsed items.
your wish is my command challenge
I laid out the Velcro strips for the boards to frame the mirror.
your wish is my command challenge
I followed the directions and cleaned both surfaces with alcohol. I allowed about 30 minutes to make sure both the wall and the boards were throughly dried after the alcohol cleaning.
your wish is my command challenge
Next, fold the Velcro strips together and press firmly. Read the directions on the tape. Peel off the protective covering. Place the side with the red writing on the back of the board or what ever you are using. Then peel and press the side with black writing onto the wall, it will have wall side printed on the tab. Hold the board for about 45 seconds to allow time for the glue to bond to the surface. On the long wood pieces, I usd two strips for each piece, one on the top and one on the bottom, If you are unsure if the strips will hold your piece. You can just press the wall side to the wall in place and let it sit for 24 hours before attaching the other piece. I had to do this once when I was using strips for a picture in our camper.
your wish is my command challenge
Follow the same format for all boards or whatever you are attaching to your surface.
your wish is my command challenge
In this picture, I am holding th board in place for 45 seconds.
your wish is my command challenge
Here is the finished product. The boards are up and holding and no holds drilled. I plan on painting a couple of latches on the left hand side. This sure made my mirror look more complete and pricey, like a West Elem or Pottery Barn piece and it only took a little paint, scrap lumber and Command Strips.

Now, onto the next hanging projects with hooks.
A set of three metal stars I purchased to hang on my vinyl fence with Command Hooks. I am also going to hang solar lights using Command Hooks. I haven’t found the type of lights I prefer as of yet.
your wish is my command challenge
After searching through my stash for a hook that would fit the hanger on the back of the stars, I chose these hooks to use for hanging the metal stars. I wanted a hook that could hold more weight than required because I knew the star would be blown on windy days and be in the rain.
your wish is my command challenge
I used alcohol and a paper towel to clean the spot I was going to place the hook. Once you clean a spot and see the dirt, it is understandable why the manufacturers suggest cleaning before attaching the hooks. Once again, I allowed time for the cleaned area to dry well, before placing the hook on the surface of the fence.
your wish is my command challenge
The directions for the hooks are the same as the strips. Except you place the side with the red writing on the back of the hook and the side with the black writing on the surface of your hanging area
your wish is my command challenge
I held the hook in place for about 45 seconds also. The directions only suggest 30 seconds, but I have found a ittle more time for bonding can make a difference, especially for something that willl be placed outside and have to endure the mixture of weather we have in Alabama.
your wish is my command challenge
This is a picture of two of the stars I will hang. There are a total of three stars in all. You also see a black metal sign at the end of the fence. I will paint this piece and place in under the center star. The colorful metal can is where I store my birdseed. It doesn’t show in the pictures, by t close by the birdfeeder.
your wish is my command challenge
Once I held the hook in place so the glue could properly bond, I just hooked the hook on the back of the star. Perfect fit.
your wish is my command challenge
There is my star studded fence. Unless you zoom in, it is hard to see the colors in the metal piece with the red and birds. It was solid black. I painted it to add more color in this area as a finishing touch. I am searching for solar light to hang over the stars for a bit of light when we sit out in the evenings. I will use small command hooks made for hanging ourdoor lights.
I am very pleased with both projects I used the Command products to complete. Hanging was easy and no walls or vinyl fences were harmed in this endeavor... LOL ! I do however, advise you to follow the clearly coded words and/or pictures on the back of each Command product. The Command items are pricey, so it is best to do it right the first time.
your wish is my command challenge
The purpose of this picture is to show you peeps the rain and windy storm we received the afternoon after I hung the stars. I know you cannot see the stars, due to the trees. However, I just wanted to show you the heavy rainfall and wind blowing to say the stars remained on the fence. Way to go Command Hooks! Here’s your commercial 3M

• Kathy Connelly

I live in arental apartment and would love to do this in our bathroom, but the mirror has clips that hold it on. Any suggestions how to mount frame over the clips? I can’t remove them.

• Gennel

Yes. Glue or tack on a narrow strip of wood on the bottom side of the frame you will use to cover mirror, leaving space to cover mirror clip, then place command hooks on that narrow strip and put in place. Understand?

• Her2106416

You also can use washers to build up the surface. To make it more even.

• Susan K Mullins

My mirror has clips, I placed the wood above the clips on the top and below the wood on the bottom.

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

You could line your board up where you want it, look into the mirror to see where the clips line up, Mark it with chalk or something you can remove easily, then cut a little notch in the wood so it will sit flat over the clips

• Michelle Jones

What is the advantage to using command products? Are they easier to remove and change or is this merely an easy way to hide something rather than tearing it out?

• Lisa Murphy-Snyder

You can remove them without damaging your walls. Also no holes.

• Susan K Mullins

If used properly, Command Hooks/Strips provide a safe way to hang items on your walls without any damage. There are less expensive hooks/strips, but they do not hold like the Command Brand, by 3M. 3M has the market on the best adhesive hooks/strips, no doubt. Many renters use them so they will receive their renter’s deposit back when they move. Hope this helps to answer your question.

• Ska32472286

Hi Susan. Where do you find command hooks on sale? Your projects look nice by the way.

• Jeanne

If you go to Michael's Craft Store with a 40% coupon or Bed and Bath with a coupon

• Susan K Mullins

Thank you! I use coupons from Hobby Lobby and Michaels to buy them sometimes, if I don’t have a project I am working on. We also have a store named Dirt Cheap. The store is sorta like Big Lots in that they carry buy out from other stores. I have found them there for like 20 to 50% off. I always buy them because I know I will eventually use them for something.

• Kathy

I love your project. You stated that you were going to paint some latches on the left side. Have you considered gluing real ones on? I am sure there are different sizes and weights of latches that it would be possible. And I would think using E6000 glue would hold it in place. I also love Command strips. I use them under the mantle opening to hang Christmas stockings, on the mantle to hang a Christmas garland, and I use the wire hooks at the top of my patio fence to hold up rope lights. Looks great in the evening.

• Susan K Mullins

That was what I wanted. My original plan was to do just that, glue real ones on. The ones I found were pricey and heavy. I also ran into the problem of finding latches that fit the small spot. I enjoy drawing and painting, so I decided to go that route. I drew a pattern on paper and cut it out. Rainy day project is to finish this project. Thank you, Kathy!

• JudyH

Did you cut another board for the right side of the mirror after you posted the final picture? The one in the photo appears to have been cut too short and it does not match up square with the horizonal boards.

• Susan K Mullins

No, ther is a plug in under the mirror. I had to make it shorter and add a piece on the other side.

• JudyH

I wasn't asking about the board at the bottom of the mirror where the plug is. I was referring to the vertical board on the right side. It doesn't look like the top of it matches up with the horizontal board over the laptop of the mirror.

• Susan K Mullins

oh, ok.

• Susan K Mullins

I see what you mean. No, I didn’t make the frame square.

• Car24142393

Would the command hook work on vinyl siding on a house? I have something I have wanted to hang but didn’t want to put a nail in my siding. Thank you.

• Diane Hensley

Yes. I use them on siding on my porch. At Christmas time, I use the outdoor ones. I didn’t even have to replace them this last Christmas. They were still solid.

• Joe Jones

They last a long time over and over if you change items you can use the same strip and follow their instructions. If it seems to not hold because of weight but 3M double side tape it holds a lot more weight and will come off with a little cleanup.

• Susan K Mullins

Yes!

• Joe Jones

Wheb you say latches what kind do you mean? Are you going to make it look like a Medicine cabinet?

Other than it looking like the rough in version and pieced together it’s a great idea. It would probably look better after paint and caulk. Great IDEA keep them coming.

• Joe Jones

• Susan K Mullins

Thank you Joe. I want to paint latches that are like the black ones on a gate.

• Jewellmartin

I love painted-on iron hardware, even when it doesn’t look three-dimensional. That would deserve another post on Hometalk. ☺️

• Joe Jones

I’ve never heard of it someone needs to make a post like you said

• Dee

Great idea!!!

• Would the command strips last outdoors? Wouldn’t the heat from the sun make the flue soft and fail?

• Susan K Mullins

That is what my “wonder” was...but so far, so good. My daughter has a piece on her fence that has been up for about 4 years with a Command Hook.

• Don307631

They have command hooks for outside. They are black. The glue is stronger and will withstand the heat and cold. I use this type in my camper

• Jewellmartin

I’m going to put a Command hook in each of our vehicles. I set on the passenger side, front seat. After I am seated with my seatbelt on properly, I can’t reach my purse without nearly cutting my neck. I want to place the heavy hook higher up on the seat divider. It will get very, very hot in the car, but from previous experience, I believe I can trust the Command hook to keep my six pound purse handy. ☺️

• Linda

Didn't she just say it works outside just fine.. READ

• J,karen

Could this work if command strip was placed on board and the mirror? My mirror has no room on side to attach a board - would love to try this!

• Angel

Yes I have done the same thing except I applied it directly on the mirror and it looked great!

• Linda

You cause command stuff on any surface

• Julia Sipe Bentley

mine is placed directly on the mirror, but I used heavy duty double faced tape as the command strips have a habit of falling off or when you peel them off they sometimes take paint with them.

• Playoffgirl

definitely will work. I’d recommend this style for bathroom they’re water resistant also. Get at Home Depot or Lowe’s. Will be harder to remove. The regular 16 lb will work and shouldn’t get wet under wood. Maybe use an extra 1-2 strips on wood at bottom close to sink.

• Susan K Mullins

I think so. Just follow the directions on the package.

• J,karen

Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate the help!

• Doris

J.karen, you can put your wood directly on the mirror but with this type mirror you would need to notch out your wood where the brackets are holding the mirror to the wall both top and bottom. Look at the pic above that shows the full mirror with the electrical plug...see the brackets?

• J,karen

I think this mirror is glued to the wall with mighty strong adhesive - no brackets and does not interfere with outlets! Thanks again for sharing this idea! I love it!

• Rox

Yes, I'm planning on doing it on my mirror. I'm going to use molding and decorative square corners. Easy peasy

• Julie Suchanek

Do you know if the outdoor command hooks adhere to steel siding?

• Julie, Dunnellon Florida

I sure hope you have better luck with those Command stripes than I did. Have one that had a ceramic item up on the wall it came CRASHING DOWN, then I stuck a small ladder to my kitchen cabinets and it came down again. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

• Janet

I had the ones you hang oven mitts or kitchen towels on your refrigerator and they stayed up all of two seconds. However I also had the outdoor ones that I put on my soffits on my porch that held my Xmas ornaments for almost two months. Here in NJ we get lots of changing weather. This year we had temps ranging from 50’s to the 10’s with rain, snow and high winds and they actually held up! But I am still annoyed about the kitchen ones.

• Marzipan Kiehn

There are clearly stated weight limits to these. I have used these for years and followed the alcohol instructions without a mishap. My walls and surfaces are also smooth. I can’t imagine hanging a small ladder... the purse hangers top out at around 7 pounds but they are large.

• Susan K Mullins

I have always had good luck with the Command Items, until recently. I always purchase according to the weight of what I am hanging. Recently I had two of the Hooks fall. I am very disappointed. Plans are to contact the company with my complaint. It seems the products are not up to the standards they were when first made. They are not cheap in price! Very aggravated! Sorry about your bad luck with them!

• Jeanne Martin

They work much better if you wait 24 hrs before hanging any weight on them. I think the directions mention that (???). The glue really bonds to your item/wall after 24 hrs. Its just hard to do the waiting!

Oh, Susan....I bought solar fairy lights on Amazon that were pretty cheap and they've been hanging on my 2 trellis's for over 6 months and are working perfectly!

• Sheryl Gregory

Do be meticulous about following their directions, to the letter. I hope your luck changes!

• Joanie

My kids live in Dunnellon, FL. T and F Electric. He's my son. They have a billboard....maybe you've heard of them. Good service and good rates.

Anyway back to the Command stickers. I haven't had a problem. RIght weight and size.......they've always worked for me. Good Luck.....Joanie.

• Michele Morgan

I haven't had any luck with them either. When they first came out they worked great but not now. It's a possibility if u get them from a hardware store maybe they are made better, but I know everything from Walmart is made in China and made cheaper, even the "as seen on tv" section does not come from the maker of that product it gets made by a cheaper company in China. So I'm going to test that theory. I'll update you here once I get the chance.

• Jeanne

Don't buy a knockoff - only 3M!

• Carolina

All the talk about Command Hooks. I can't get them to stick. I tried to hang a small plastic grocery store bag under my kitchen counter to hold empty pop bottles for recycle. I used extra big hooks in case there were a lot of glass to go in, but no, never put any glass in the bag. Within a week it was all on the floor. Tried it on wood, metal, ceramic, wiped down first with alcohol, let dry, held hook in place hard. Does the glue get old before you use them? I didn't think they were old but they were on sale. Any comments welcome. I was going to use them for small pictures next but now I don't want to risk it. Thanks, folks.

• Susan K Mullins

I have used Command Hooks for so many different projects and up until the last couple of weeks, I have been pleased. They always held so good. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I bought hooks to hang a small item. I followed the directions as stated and hung the item. The next morning the hook was on the floor. I repeated the process and once again, the hook fell. So, I don’t think the company is making quality products.

• Harmony

ive had this problem with old hooks, I only buy them at high traffic stores like Walmart so I know they haven’t been sitting that long.

• Babette

Question, did you remove the plastic mirror clips or how did you work around them?

• Susan K Mullins

I just placed the boards around the edges of the mirror. I did not remove the clips.