Arlette Twersky
Arlette Twersky
  • Bensalem, PA

I am looking for someone to build me a pergola

Arlette TwerskyMary ThorneVirginia Philo
+30

I have a cement patio and want to have someone with experience build a pergola with a deck over the patio. I have a picture of just the one I would like that I found online. I have a couple of people that said they could do it, but I'm hesitating because they don't seem to have much experience. Can you find me someone near Bensalem PA who knows what they are doing?
I plan to use the pergola as a succah.
looking for someone in my area with enough experience to do a nice job of this
  • Historic Shed

The best way to know that the person you hire to build it is going to build what you want is to have some architectural drawings done showing how it is is going to be secured, size and type of lumber, etc. Otherwise you are trusting their experience to do it right.

• Polly Zieper

I'd ask friends/neighbors if they know of a 'handyman'. It doesn't look that complicated, but you never know. sometimes its more $ to DIY than to buy.

• Jeanette S

I just do not understand pergolas! If you are going to put that much into building something, why not put a top on it so it will be somewhat weatherproof? Maybe we just get so much heat down here in Atlanta we need the shade!

• Lynn5280

@Jeanette S Jeanette it is better not to have a roof if you're in hurricane areas...pergolas do offer some shade especially if you have hanging plants.

• Terri S

You could try Angie's list for recommendations.

• Arlette Twersky

Do you mean that he should provide the drawings to show me what he intends to do? How would I know if the plan was sound or not? Thanks for your reply.

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

You really have to do some research on what companies actually make pergolas. I had one made to my specifications, taking a drawing to the deck and fencing companies who advertised here in Maryland. Not all responded with how they would make it. Some just offered a price with no cost details.

q i am looking for someone to build me a pergola, decks, outdoor living, patio, woodworking projects, Because of the wavy shaped patio we had in place we opted for a three sided pergola on one end But when the contracted drew up plans he suggested adding a fourth column which worked out much better
  • Jean Kiehl Kloska

The design/photo you are showing is beautiful !

• Mary Thorne

It isn't that hard, my husband and I built ours in a weekend. We also built our pool deck. The main thing is knowing something about the construction work and having the right tools. I would suggest going to the library and getting a DIY book, or look online for plans. That's how we were able to do ours. You could also check out your local home improvement store for suggestions about contractors.

• Bonnie S

I saw white ones at Menards all pre-cut and finished..but about $3000

• Tina Hulgan

Hello my name is Tina and I'm with All About Patio Covers we are located in Houston, Tx. Check with Angies List in your Area For a contractor Using Angies List only homeowner can write about contractor's instead of contractors paying to have reviews writing about there company. Hope this helps. Regards, Tina

• Linda

Arlette, look around your neighborhoor and see if someone has one in their yard or maybe another structure built and ask them who built it. See if they're happy with what they have and ask questions about that builder. See if you can contact that person and talk to them about building what you want.

• Toni pratt

what's a succah?

• Sara N

Library and internet sites will explain angle necessary for shaded in summer, sunny in winter. In my experience, if you research some and know what it takes to build it yourself, you are more likely to get what you want from the person you hire. Your picture inspired me to put a pergola over part of my hot sunny deck, and then I could hang a gutter pipe over it to water my plants! Thanks!

• Jeri Niksich

Our Home Depot has one set up in front of the store that you can buy the kit or have the contactor that sells them to Home Depot build it for you. You might want to check out or call Home Depot about it.

• Sally Roesner Fuhr

I don't quite understand pergolas either. It's as with decks--it is no shelter from the sun, wind, rain, cold, etc. It is something to suspend things from, I guess.

• Sally Roesner Fuhr

@Centrd I guess you can tell I live in rural Western Illinois then. It seems always too windy to live outdoors, and summer is only 4 months long. We enclose ours in glass and call them four-seasons rooms, but the "view" from one often leaves much to be desired. A pergola would never have to have windows washed.

• Shawn Suarez

South Texan, born and raised! our house also faces west so shaded back yard here too! I love the sun but so wonderful to have the afternoon shade in the backyard.

• James Reeves

Go see jobs contractor you choose has done resently, l hired a window contractor that a woman my wife worked with in Trenton ontario. First window and the other 15 plus 3 doors had to have removed after paying $ 8,000 then cost another $ 3,500.00 to have taken out reinstalled 3 months latter discovered seals broke on all he took me to court judge not fair made me pay him a nightmare jim

• James Reeves

Yes i am a drywall taper never would rip anyone off l takes losses but not everyone is honest be careful jim

• Mila S

My husband built our pergola w/a little help from me. We ordered the plans off the internet. We bought rolls of bamboo fencing & covered the roof, just so we have some protection from the sun. He also used our underground sprinkler system & incorporated sprinklers around it in the planting beds. So, in the heat of the summer, we can get cooled off w/out getting wet. It's amazing & we love it!

• Virginia Philo

I would do as suggested above, find someone with a deck or similar structure that looks recent and good, and ask them who built it. Ask if there have been any problems with it.

• Mary Thorne

We love it Ginny. It allows for rain to water my container plants, yet it is very cool and even lowered the temperature of the house by at least 5 degrees. Doesn't sound like much, but every bit helps. My kitchen used to be very warm and the A/C doesn't run as much now as it did before the pergola. It's similar to this one, except ours is on our second floor. That also provides for space under the deck to be utilized.

• Mary Thorne

I am very happy we have it. It provides a lot of shade, even though it's open. The lattice roof allows for rain to water my container plants, so we can't sit out when it rains, but it keeps the house a little cooler because it blocks that 5 o'clock sun.

• Arlette Twersky

It.s beautiful!