Barbara Turner
Barbara Turner
  • Chesterfield, VA

Any ideas for replacing our vinyl laminate contractor grade - kitchen?

Eroque022810Bernice HBernice H
+34

What about self-stick for only 125 sq. ft eat-in kitchen? We currently still are suffering (LOL) with our brick vinyl contractor grade laminate and I upgraded the entire kitchen excluding the floor back about 4 years ago. I could probably do it myself but am at a loss as to what to get. Does anybody have any ideas?
q any ideas for replacing our vinyl laminate contractor grade kitchen, flooring, kitchen design, tile flooring, After I got the cabinets refaced and rollouts done and new drawer fronts and pretty paint I m STILL dealing with the 80 s original brick laminate Any suggestions for lightening up the floor excluding tile cork or porcelain
After I got the cabinets refaced and rollouts done and new drawer fronts and pretty paint, I'm STILL dealing with the 80's original brick laminate! Any suggestions for lightening up the floor excluding tile, cork or porcelain?
30 of 33 answers
  • Barbara Turner

Thanks! I'll check it out!

• John Budzinski

For your gouges a thin layer of wood filler smoothed out to fill then should take care of them.

• Darla

Why not try the grouted vinyl tiles, or floating vinyl plank flooring? Both of those are DIY-friendly.

• Plyrdojo

I just did my bathroom with the floating vinyl plank flooring and I love. No fuss no mess. Looks great.

• Jeanette S

I love your pull out drawers. I have a couple only and have put those pull out baskets in most of my cabinets. As for the floor, ????. I have wood laminate and LOVE it!

• Liliana Wells

I always loved tile in kitchens. Are you able to do that?

• Joanna Carrisal

Tear it out. Depending on your style you could install an oak wood floor. If that's not an option, you could even remove the old vinyl and stain the concrete. Or maybe even install 1x6 knotty pine flooring and stain it darker than your cabinets.

• Janice Hackley

My husband and myself have done the wood laminate and it was not to hard and looks great.

• Kelley M

I would use a wood laminate flooring. The engineered flooring will handle water, heat and other kitchen things very well and look great in the process.

• Jeannie

@Kelley M We installed wood laminate in our home, including the kithen and 1 bathroom. It does not handle water well. The dishwasher suffered a clogged drain and spilled out on the floor. There is warping that did not go away. Same thing has happened in the bathroom from a weak seal. When we are able to replace it, it won't be with laminate wood.

• Barbara Turner

Uh, thanks but we are NOT on a slab concrete. Frankly, I don't know where you got the impression we are on a slab! We are in small CUSTOM homes built by a builder trying to emulate a major custom home subdivision here in the area. We actually DO have subflooring with a crawl space. Our's is actually 1,800 heated sq. ft. I have to be careful because of the thickness of whatever material I do decide on because I'm NOT ripping out the cabinets and we have to get something less than 1/2 total depth including the possibility of luann or leveler.

• Chris aka monkey

@Barbara Turner i have seen where people have used osb or wood lathe and stained or painted then polyed looked fabulous xx

• Barbara Turner

Aw, thanks! Yeah, I found a custom cabinet maker and his sons who actually work for a major woodworking franchiser and they came in and adapted every drawer, pull-out and door and a couple of extras to our dimensions. I have never enjoyed anything in this house more than these! Here are some more pics of what I'm talking about!

q any ideas for replacing our vinyl laminate contractor grade kitchen, flooring, kitchen design, tile flooring, This is the corner under the window this pull out unit they built to exact specs and it s wild I call it my kitchen toy box LOLq any ideas for replacing our vinyl laminate contractor grade kitchen, flooring, kitchen design, tile flooring, Here you can see how they built this pull out box on a piano hinge and it has 2 storage sections There is a huge cavity inside this cabinet that they got in there built two 2 huge flat trays to pull over to the pulloutq any ideas for replacing our vinyl laminate contractor grade kitchen, flooring, kitchen design, tile flooring, This cabinet is a huge cavity under the corner of our counter and they put these in there I LOVE these I and my kids were having to literally pull stuff out and crawl in to get stuff Whew
  • Barbara Turner

Hi! Do you have some pictures, I'd like to see it! Thanks!

• Barbara Turner

Do you have some pictures or a website I can check out? thanks!

• Lavende

Laminate wood flooring can go right over the existing surface, looks beautiful, and is very resistant. Its quite easy to install yourself if cost is an issue, and most of the big box hardware stores offer free classes on how to install. I think it is worth the cost to get a thicker (at least 9mm) floor, but you can get very good quality laminate materials in the $2/ft2 range outside of the big boxes (we used Eternity brand and LOVE it!).

• Jeannie

I redid my mom's kitchen and dining room (huge space) with vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot. I chose the dark cherry wood look. It turned out amazing! The best part is the vinyl won't warp with a big water mishap like overun dishwasher or dog bowl water. It sticks together with over lapping sticky joints and "floats" over existing flooring.

• Kelley M

Depending on your budget you could install stone or special finished concrete. Tile is not a good choice because when something falls on them, they crack and need to be replaced. You could always go back to laminate too.

• Barbara Turner

I'll take a look at that but it would def. have to be a much lighter "wood grain to go with the butcher block counter and "blonder" colors. I bet her floor is pretty now with that cherry. thanks for the suggestion!

• Jeannie

@Barbara Turner They have lots of color choices. I also put a light oak in one of our extra bedrooms that matches our oak laminate in the rest of our house. I did that because it was cheap and the existing floor was a tile put down with black glue that could possibly contain asbestos. It would have been very expensive to have the asbestos abated.

• Barbara Turner

Oh, no, no tile. I had a tile floor put in the hall bath but I used to work in the call center at Stanley Steemer and I'm soooo done with resealing tile. Since 2010 when I did that, I've already resealed it 5x5 floor area twice and I'm fed up with it. Never again! thanks again. I'm gonna look at Vinyl plank wood grain.

• Barbara Turner

Hi thanks! Well, Like I said, I have to keep the thickness of whatever I get to less than 1/2 " because of the appliances. I'll look at a lot of stuff. Thanks again!

• Barbara Turner

You know, actually one of my dear friends is doing that now in her home. She told me the same thing you did about how to do it. I may actually do something like that. The problem is how I can stay off it for 24-48 hrs. LOL That's the main traffic area in the house! LOL thanks!

• Barbara Turner

Yeah, I've honestly looked at everything and the thing stopping us between 2010 and this year was that our fridge we did have had 3 leaks and we got a new one under the warranty and then the DW we had that Mom and I bought in 2006 started having problems in 2008 and last year it finally had 4 calls which warranted us getting a new one! LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! LOL. We've got so many gouges in this floor that we've got to totally rip this whole thing out and put luan down so it's not going to be cheap. I'm on full SS Disability and my husband is doing major repairs to our vehicles so because of my Dr. visits and his time and our son helping, I hope to get it done maybe this year. I don't know! LOL So now I'm dedicatedly looking at different applications. BUT I'm also working on the hall bath and mixing colors and trying applications of paint techniques for that. It's a process! LOL thanks again!

• Barbara Turner

Thanks but I'm probably going to do something simple and poly it. Still don't know. LOL thanks!

• Sarah Johnson

I think the laminate wood floor suggestion is the best it comes in snap and groove easy to use and they have plenty of colors and check out liquidators they often have it on clearance even Lowes and home depot, it's very durable too

• Cynthia Cook

@Sarah Johnson I am having a laminate installed tomorrow..the color is called 'rustic oak' by american concepts and it is hand scraped,which means it is not a flat surface..I have 2 dogs and I hear laminate is very durable

• Mary

I got a roll of vinyl that you cut to size at Home Depot. they get it from Sweden where the kitchens are all the same size so they can take it with them ( like a carpet) when they move. It sticks down on the " brick vinyl" ( I had it too) with two sided tape. Easy project for 2 people to do

• Barbara Turner

Well, although that does sound easy, I've got to completely pull up this nasty vinyl that has a lot of gouges in it from wear and tear. But I'm gonna look into that for sure! thanks!

• Darla

Anne-That's what we did years ago, and it's held up well. Relatively easy to do, too.

• Bernice H

I may have missed something , but you want to remove VINYL brick flooring ..right? Not laminate? then put something else down? Laminate flooring is not a good choice where there might be water damage at some time, as I understand it. However vinyl planking can withstand water issues.I have it, and it was recommended to me by many flooring specialists including our own..@KMS Woodworks Kevin.

• Bernice H

Oh for crying out loud, that last comment before mine was in May..surely you must have done something by now, please tell us what you did.

• Eroque022810

Have you looked at the wood flooring you can do on your own you just need to make cuts when needed and a malate. We had it installed and we just had our kitchen done and I love it,very easy to care for. Just make sure that you put flet on bottom of chair's. We had a scratch,and wood oil took care of it since it is a wood product, it just suckered it in and you can't see it.