DIY Shiplap-Staircase Organization Bench (VIDEO)

$400

How to build an organization bench with a shiplap wall!
I took a negative space under my stair case that had no real purpose besides collecting dust and unwanted boxes. We needed a place to sit down to take our shoes off/ organize and random dog stuff. Thus this plan was born!
Before:
Getting started I bought some 1"x8" select pine at the local hardware store. using the kreg jig to cut slots for my screws to sit in for the treads of the stairs (this closes the staircase up)
Drill 3 kreg inserts and 3 regular screw inserts this will hold tightly to the stairs
Using 2 pieces of 4'x8'x3/4" ply wood, I cut everything there at the store using my plans I drew up. The two sheets cost around $45 a sheet. I laid out 4 vertical pieces that will serve as dividers for the baskets. I figured this bench will sit approximately 20" off the ground
Once I screwed all the boards in I cut a 2" hole on the backside so I can accommodate any extension cord from the outlet behind the bench. This will come in handy if you want to string up lights on your railing
here's a picture of how it snakes through the bench
the base board is approximately 3.5" so I needed to lift the bench up to accommodate the baseboard using 2x4's
Now that the 2x4's are screwed in I was now able to slide the bench into its final resting spot. The bench will get trimmed out with select pine ripped down to 1.5" to cover any rough edges
To add a light under the stairs I worked off the existing outlet I mentioned earlier to add a paddle switch
Screwing in studs, this is where the recessed light housing and drywall will attach too.
Recessed housing will be wired up coming from the paddle switch on the wall snaked through the 2x4 studs
Once the housing is in place the dry wall call be screwed in to the studs. Being careful not to lose where the housing is located, cut a hole to insert the light
Adding the base board and trim using the select pine will cover up the rough edges of the ply wood
The final step is to add all the 1.5" trim and base to the bench. This will clean up all the rough edges and gaps between the bench and the nook. The ship lap is 4'x8'x1/8" ply ripped down to 7.5" strips (the size of real shiplap). These pieces are leveled and nailed to the wall patching with spakle in a later step (WATCH VIDEO FOR MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTION)

• Vimarhonor

Amazing project! Hope you post some more here! Love the GSP logo, do you have a storefront?

• Diena Cameron

Great tutorial and beautiful project ! If i had all the tools, it would be a dream project for me as well .) Thanks so much for sharing.

• Becky

How small does a person have to be to park in there and read a book?

• Melrose Design Co.

I'm 6' and I fit perfectly in there, granted I have to bend my legs a bit. Comfortable none the less

• Janet Schen

Will you come and live at my house for a couple of weeks and do a bunch of projects for me? LOL Your idea under your stairs is brilliant! Great job!

• Lisa

A) I love it!

B) Your instructions and your video were both excellent!

C) I'll be watching to see what you come up with next! :D

• Schel McCord Ruiz

I don't have stairs but wish I did now. Such an amazing way to add storage and a resting spot.