Hall Table Painted in Rustoleum Chalk Paint - Sage Green

$45

This piece of furniture was painted for a customer's Hallway. She wanted it updating and given a new look. When I asked her about what colour she would prefer etc. - she said she didn't mind and she was going away on holiday and she said 'surprise me' - sometimes this can work out and sometimes not - although I've never done anything 'to-date' that a customer didn't like. Thank goodness. But... then, I always think and say that, after all it's only paint and can easily be re-done.

I considered it for a while and thought I would use Rustoleum Chalk Paint. I have already used Rustoleum paint on some other projects and like to use it. So I chose the colour of Sage Green.
hall table painted in rustoleum chalk paint sage green
First of all I gave this piece a slight sanding - it did not need hardly any sanding as it was in very good condition
hall table painted in rustoleum chalk paint sage green, Close up of the drawers
Close up of the drawers
I applied 2 coats of the Rustoleum Chalk Paint in Sage Green all over the table and the drawers. Some people tend to leave the drawers in when painting, but I always take them out as I find it so much easier to work with. I left this overnight to dry completely.

When using Chalk Paint I personally like to add small amounts of water.  As all Chalk Paints I have used are rather thick and when it is watered down it flows much easier and personally it looks and feels better.  Just go sparingly with the water, as you don't want to go too overboard with it - so add little by little. You can always add but you can't take out!!  It is much preferable to have two thin coats than one thick!

Although, after saying that I do find Rustoleum Chalk paint is not as thick as Annie Sloan's and find this paint easier and more pliable to work with.
I had been looking for some coloured waxes. Not your Dark and Clear Waxes that you see lots of people using with Chalk Paint. I was looking for a gold or bronze or something similar - I wanted something different to the 'norm' and thought perhaps I could try this and see how I go.  Anyway, needless to say I found some it's made by Liberon and I bought a gold/bronze colour. See below details of where you can purchase some.
I used this wax all over the table except the drawers as again, I wanted something different. I put the wax on with a soft lint-free cloth i.e. an old T-Shirt of hubbies. This wax is very soft not like most waxes that are on the market and is very easy and workable - so you don't need much on your cloth. Use it sparingly. When putting the wax on you need to go with the 'grain' of the wood.

Once you have put the wax on leave for about half an hour, then polish it up with a clean lint-free cloth and it will give your furniture a nice sheen.

On the drawers to protect them I used 2 coats of Polyvine Furniture Varnish in Satin finish. Again, you will see details of where to buy further down.
A close-up of the drawer detail - I love this little 'key' tassle

And..... a few 'After' photos for you to browse
If you would like to see more photos etc. then please visit my website

To see more: http://www.decorativeideas.co.uk

• Cynthia H

Did you paint the knobs?

• Denise Hardy

Hi Cynthia - glad you mentioned the knobs I forgot didn't I - sorry about that. Yes I painted the knobs the same colour of sage green and just dabbed a bit of the bronze on top. :)

• Grandma

So which paint did you use? Rustoleum Chalk Paint or FolkArt? and How do you care for the waxed parts? Do they need to be varnished also?

• Denise Hardy

Hi Grandma :) I used the Rustoleum Chalk Paint and all you do when you put the wax on to keep it looking nice is use a soft clean cloth - it does not need any varnish on top :) hope this helps?

• Itsmemic

love this ! Did something similar but with a soft blue..came out awesome !

• Denise Hardy

Thank you for your comment Itsmemic - I bet it looks great with a soft blue :)