Copper pipe bookshelf

EmilyFlipturnJanet Pizaro
+15

I would like to make a bookshelf above this open doorway. I want to make it out of one 7 foot long piece of copper pipe and a couple if elbows and round plates to attach it to the wall. What thickness does the pipe need to be to hold 7 feet of books?
  • Liv
    Liv

1/2 inch, the pipe doesn't actually bear the weight but the the things that anchor it into the wall.t
    • Sha4802158
      Sha4802158

I want it to look like this only with copper pipe and it would be 7 feet long. I just wasn't sure it wouldn't buckle under the weight of that many heavy books.
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

The price of copper piping has increased considerably lately. Have you priced out the cost of the project with the measurements that you have?
    • Sha4802158
      Sha4802158

I have looked into it. It will be expensive but it will go in my steampunk living room so well.
  • Emily
    Emily

bookshelves are about 8" deep.
    • Sha4802158
      Sha4802158

Yes, I have the depth I want it to be. I just need to know what size/thickness of copper pipe to use.
  • Andra
    Andra

What Liv said! Mind the anchoring aspect and you'll be fine!
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

This style of 'book shelf' is actually suspended from the wall rather than being attached to the wall, as the portion of the pipe that holds the books is not directly attached. Liv is quite right in saying that it is not so much the shelf that holds the weight of what is on it, but moreover the attachments in the two collars at the top.
    7ft is a considerable length to be unsupported without any centre bracket or two. Based on my experience with curtain rods this length, I would say that the pipe will likely need at least one centre bracket. For displaying heavy books, the collars will have to be mounted with long screws into hard wood. If there is no wood, then using toggle bolts will be necessary in order that the whole shelf does not pull down away from the wall.
    The book shelf in your picture, being that it is a shorter length, would probably hold its positon being mounted with anchors.
    , Common styles of anchors, Common style of a toggle bolt, How toggle bolts work, How anchors work
  • Emily
    Emily

Sorry I hadn't seen the pic before. Copper pipe of course is not as strong as iron and 7ft is quite long. Also those are short "arms" in the pic. So the depth of the books would be limited.
  • Emily
    Emily

Although copper pipe is generally made to carry something inside, rather than support weight on the outside, there must be stats on weight v. diameter of pipe. Maybe if you used two supporting arms that would mean each length would only be 2 feet 4 inches. BTW "steam punk" makes me think of movie cartoons from when I was young. Don't know exactly what it means now.