Pigomyhrt
Pigomyhrt
  • United States

Modern Ranch Black House Wood Trim

$175

Updating our 1950 modern ranch in Sourhern California. Black House and Cedar Wood Trim.
modern ranch black house wood trim
House was green with brown trim and needed attention badly. Someone had touched up the green in many places without using a match in color so we needed paint badly. When I told the hubby we were painting the house Black he was stunned but game. I’m lucky my hubby trusts my gut. :)
modern ranch black house wood trim
Choosing the right “black” was harder than I thought. Bought about 15 samples. Ours is a deep deep black turquoise color. (Can’t remember the name but I’ll post when I look) It changes in the sunlight and I’m very happy with my pick....super deep charcoal color. 😎🖤
modern ranch black house wood trim
Front of house. Before paint.
modern ranch black house wood trim
Back entrance after paint but before wood siding. Our back entrance is really our main entrance since our driveway leads everyone closer to here. So we wanted to make it feel more prominent. We have a lot of doors!
modern ranch black house wood trim
House also came with this Don Quixote mosaic so when we had our pool retiled and pebbletek’d we had some black tile leftover so we used it to highlight and trim out the mosaic In a fresh and modern way. I can’t throw away perfectly good tile right?
modern ranch black house wood trim
I started sanding, staining and laying out Cedar Fence boards. They were 2.37 each at Home Depot and the gallon of stain was $37. I had paintbrush and sanding stuff around already. I started with an assembly line. All in all it was 45 boards we needed for our 2 locations we were adding the trim.
modern ranch black house wood trim
Black door (which is our main entry into the kitchen).
modern ranch black house wood trim
back door wood trim complete.
modern ranch black house wood trim
This is the guest house and it needed some personality as well.
modern ranch black house wood trim
Project complete. My hubby is handy with a saw and measurements. We LOVE how this has modernized the house and really upped the appeal of the design aesthetic we were going for. We had the house professionally painted ($2500) but we are Diyers at heart and sadly didn’t have the time to tackle that big of a project ourselves. But the wood trim we tackled in a solid weekend. Both of us working on it. We do have an air compressor and a brad nailer so I recommend that for a project like thisreally kept boards going up quickly. Also I should mention to always use a level on your first board and make slight adjustments as needed. My hubby used a shim between boards as a “spacer” to keep the lines uniform.

Im now thinking where else should we do this? Summer is almost here so we are building an outdoor shower next!

• Stormy

You used a brad nailer into brick? How secure is that?

• Pigomyhrt

It was wood siding there..... Not brick! Brad nailer won’t work on masonry. Your right!

• Karen

Love the look but I see cacti growing....isn’t the black hot for your climate

• Pigomyhrt

ww have generous roof overhangs on the home and haven’t noticed a difference.... perhaps because the house is concrete block and insulated that helps.

• Debby

I live in Wyoming and I'd love to know what kind and color of stain you used?

• Pigomyhrt

Ahhhh it was purchased at Home Depot and sadly I no longer have the can! I’m sorry! This project was completed over a year ago.

• Renata

NICE! When am I ur guest. Lol

• Thea

Super chic! Just watch out, our outside walls were painted a similiar colour and I noticed that the plants on the warm, sunny side grew away from the wall, presumably because it got too hot.