Entryway Ceiling Shim Wood Mosaic

$45

We remodeled our kitchen and our small back foyer needed the ceiling painted. But we ended up doing this instead
kitchen entry small foyer needed ceiling painted.
Measured square footage and headed to Home Depot. I will admit I bought peel and stick wallpaper that didn’t hold up on a ceiling. Peeled down. I wanted something unique but as you can see our modern cabinets go ALL THE WAY to the ceiling so there is very little room to work with.
Hubby started by cabinets checking the Sein of the doors so here was no problems with the shims hitting the tops of the doors.
Air compressor and nailer are essential for a project like this. Wash shim was 3 nails. Then you just start putting the puzzle together. My hubby enjoys fun projects like this. Not too much manual labor but gets to use the nailer. :)
Started in the corner.
Came down side of wall.
Almost complete. Had to do other side then chose to meet in the middle because of course the wall wasn’t straight.
Done! (Sorry I should have taken more pics. I’ll add when the sun comes up. :)

• Bren

I think Bette was asking how many square feet does one package of shims cover. Since there’s only eight shims per package, how many packages did you have to use to cover the 30 ft.²?

• Joe Jones

Well there’s 1.33sq ft in 8 shims. If they are indeed 1.5” x 16” they are 24sq in per shim so multiply 30sq ft by .00694 and you get the square inches which is 4320 then Dixie 4320 by 24 (that’s one shim) equals 180 so you need 180 shims to do 30 square feet

of you ever have the square inches you need to cover you can divide your square inches by 144 to convert it from inches to feet

• Jane Ann

How much cost?? Neck breaker!

• User

I'm planning to use these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-Contractor-Shims-42-Per-Bundle-SHIMW12/301691653 . They look pretty good as is or would be lovely stained. They are almost 12 per square foot so one box will about do 3.5 square feet (about $1.4/sq ft before tax, nails/staples/glue). I'm thinking nails are overkill, staples probably a good idea, and, though I haven't tested on a ceiling, I think E6000 adhesive is thick enough to hold, though it may require pressing them into the ceiling for a minute, which might get cumbersome, whereas staples in a staple gun (not those awful squeeze it type!) might do the trick. Anyone tried E6000 on a ceiling or other overhanging space where gravity is against you? Staples? These are wider but only 8 inches so not as much coverage: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nelson-Wood-Shims-8-in-Homeowner-Pine-Shims-12-Piece-per-Bundle-10011703/301757723

• Pigomyhrt

We used brad nails in an air gun to do the job quick and easy.