Get More Blooms on Roses

1.4K Views
Roses are meant to be showy and bright. I have always loved roses of all kinds. My roses were doing well and blooming, but I wanted to enable them to really bloom and prosper. I found out they love and need some of the same minerals recommended for elderly people who have lost their vim and vigor, potassium.
Time: 3 MonthsCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • get more blooms on roses
You can see there are some blooms and the plant seems to be fairing well, but I wanted lots of blooms. At first I used the food blender to mix banana peels and orange peels with a little water and poured it at the base of the roses. Notice we also use mulch in our dry climate. Roses need sunshine but they also require sufficient water. The mulch helps our dry soil retain the water.
  • get more blooms on roses
You can use entire bananas if they are old and need tossed out, or just the peel. The same is true of oranges or orange peels. Like the fruit, the peels contain much needed potassium for elderly people and roses.
  • get more blooms on roses
If you are concerned about attracting rodents, you can continue to grind all your peels and old fruit, but now that my roses are well established I just toss the peels back behind the bushes where they do not show.
  • get more blooms on roses
Now it is common for my red rose bushes to have 100 blooms and buds or more on each bush. The same is true of my pink and white roses now.
  • get more blooms on roses
People often stop and ask me about my roses and how I get so many blooms. I tell them I prune them in late winter before they begin to wake up then I feed them banana and orange peels all summer. With just a little care roses will bloom to give you joy all summer and into the late fall, mine do. Seeing is believing.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Roses  (garden center)
  • Produce peels of bananas, oranges  (grocery store)
  • Denise Hardy
    Denise Hardy Spain

Hi Lenora - Thanks for sharing your tips for the roses - I will take these 'on board' for mine :) love the colour specifically of the pink and white. I only have two bushes - one is quite large and the other one was in our back garden that we didn't even know we had until a few months or so ago - it just seemed to appear - how can that happen? lol :)

• Denise Hardy
        Denise Hardy Spain

Your welcome Lenora - I'll have to send you a picture of mine you can tell me what you think :) I will try to remember next week as I'm quite busy this week. Nice to chat with you and have a great weekend :)

• Hillela G.
        Hillela G.

These are such helpful tips!!! Thank you!