"Faux" Cement Wall and Floating Cabinet

$400

This glorious cement wall with floating cabinet is what I will be talking to you about. Hope I can show you the process of how we completed this project and show you the before and after.

faux cement wall and floating cabinet
This was the space before the transformation.
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
We wanted a raw cement look on the wall, (to go with our industrial/modern look) so we decided to use this material called Wonderboard. It is used for wet areas like bathrooms where tile is then installed on top. But for our purpose, it was to become the “cement” wall.
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
We measured the wall and its center so we could decide how to start applying the wonderboard. We used liquid nails for this purpose.
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
Then we designed, cut, and started building the cabinet, which we built with ¾” birch plywood.

faux cement wall and floating cabinet
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
The Kreg Jig is excellent in making an easy job of putting the pieces together.
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
faux cement wall and floating cabinet

faux cement wall and floating cabinet
We Painted the cabinet white. No pictures of this process, but we used an air compressor and paint gun.

faux cement wall and floating cabinet
At the bottom of the cabinet we built a box (same width as the cabinet), which we then filled with white quartz. Also, you can’t see it on the picture, but we installed white LED lights under the counter to shine on the rocks.
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
After a while we changed some decor items and built the wirerope wall divider and this is how it ended up. To see the full tutorial on how we built the wirerope divider click HERE
faux cement wall and floating cabinet
Forma Color y Textura

• John Biermacher

Entire project looks great. Did you seal the cement board?

• Forma Color y Textura

No we did not. We wanted it to look as raw as possible. Up close it looks rough, but at 5 feet it kind of blends and looks great.

• Vph32474459

This is absolutely fabulous. The link to the site for the instructions on the wire-rope divider takes you to a page which is in spanish. Do you have one for english?

• Binny

There is a link to an English translation that pops up at the bottom. I scrolled down, then up a little and there it was. Not great - it loses a little in translation, but absolutely enough to tell exactly what you need to know.

• Marcey miller

This is fabulous. How do I signup to receive your blog?

• Forma Color y Textura

I am working on that. In the meantime, just click on the link of my blog. Right now it is in spanish though.