Pretty Ceramic Dishes With Glass

17K Views
I recently started a pottery class and wanted to make some cute dishes to store keys, change, and other bits and pieces. I molded the dishes out of grey stoneware clay and glazed using the color 'Ice Crystal', adding some colored glass beads for a nice effect in the base of each dish. I think this project could also work well using air dry clay and paint, and skipping the glass.
Time: 3 HoursCost: $25Difficulty: Medium
  • pretty ceramic dishes with glass
To create the dishes, I rolled out a thin slab of grey stoneware clay. I then cut circles using a sharp knife, drawing around a yogurt pot to get the same size for each of the three circles.

I used coils of clay to create the edges of each dish, blending them carefully on both the inside and outside.
  • pretty ceramic dishes with glass
Once the dishes had been fired, I applied three layers of stoneware glaze in the color 'Ice Crystal'. The glaze looks very white in this picture, but it has more of a creamy color once fired.

After glazing, I added a small handful of green and blue glass beads and shards to each dish. These will melt in the kiln to create a nice colored effect.
  • pretty ceramic dishes with glass
Once the dishes came out of the kiln, they had a natural cream color with a shiny blue-green layer of melted glass in the base. The glass looks slightly different in each dish, which helps make them unique.
  • pretty ceramic dishes with glass
I use one dish to store my house keys, having read a list of home security tips that recommends having a designated safe place for keys. The other dishes come in handy for storing bits and pieces like change, jewellery, buttons, etc.

It would be easy to alter this project slightly by using different colored glazes or different types of clay. I think the dishes work well in groups of three, but you could also try single dishes or larger sets.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of June 10, 2018 11:00 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Eloise