What is wrong with this paint ??

+7
HELP !!!!!!
Can anyone explain to me WHY this touch up on my entry wall came out so different than the original paint. SAME can of paint 2 years later....why does it look SHINY. When the front door is closed it looks fine, as soon as the door is open it shines. By the way the other part of the wall that may look lighter IS a cast off from the metallic table in the entry. This spot is horrible don't know what to do :(

q what is wrong with this paint
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 24, 2018
    paint oxidizes over time
  • KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on May 24, 2018
    Good Morning DD66, Well, it looks to me like your wall, in generaal may have a bit of reflective quality to it, and I am thinking that there might have been a settling of refective particles in the original bucket of paint which causes the touch up to be so shiny. As for the color difference, I don't know if you had, or not, used any primer before applying the paint to the wall when it was first done PLUS again before touching up. Here is a link that has some answers for you to consider. I would just repaint the wall ... as an accent wall perhaps (so that even if you use a gray color and it is different, that will be fine ... it's an ACCENT wall) ;) Good Luck and thanks for asking Hometalk for answers.

• DD 66 DD 66 on May 24, 2018
      Thanks for you reply. This IS an accent wall sooooo!! Anyway I think you are correct about the reflective properties setteling. Even though I did mix well, it was paint left in the bottom of the can. Oh well I guess I can just keep the front door closed😬
  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on May 24, 2018
    Since you don't have a picture posted, I'm going to guess it's either one of two things. 1. The paint wasn't stirred enough to remix all the chemicals in it or, 2. the paint broke down in the 2 year wait for the touch up. To fix it, go back to the retailer with your old can and get a quart jar of the same color in the same texture mixed up for you and repaint your touch-up.
  • Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on May 24, 2018
    Beautiful floor!
  • Mike Williamson Mike Williamson on May 24, 2018
    One thing which causes "flashing" is not priming the patch material before applying the paint.
    (flashing is a shiny spot)
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Jun 01, 2018
    This is really common. Paints fade and lose some of their shine on the wall. I remember being told to add a bit of water to latex paint when touching it up, and to build up and feather the colour. I have found that dabbing the paint from the original can, with a foam brush seems to work better for me.
    However, I have had more luck colour matching a chip of existing paint, than using the old paint.
    Here are some suggestions: