Episode 5: Dingy Basement to Dreamy Guestroom

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Michelle was tired of her run-down basement and desperately wanted to give it a makeover. She was craving a functional and fashionable guestroom, but she didn't know where to start. Michelle decided to bring in Hometalk DIYer Alicia W. to help her plan a design, get the right materials, and get started on some simple updates to transform her space.
Check out Episode 5 of DIY Nearby to see how Michelle, with the help of DIYer Alicia W., turned her dingy basement into a luxurious guestroom, and get some helpful makeover tips that you can use yourself!

What's holding you back from redoing your basement? Share your DIY challenges with us in the comments!

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas

• Dustin Estes
    Dustin Estes

Why is the primer not tinted? I realize you painted the walls a cream or off white and the primer is white but tinting it off white as well would make the finish coat even more rich. Most primers can be tinted and although the tinted primer will not be the same as the paint color it still makes painting easier.

• Dustin Estes
      Dustin Estes

Not really as the primer is not going to be the exact color. It will be lighter than the actual color. I never understood when women would comment that they saw certain colors in their hair until I went to cosmetology school and learned color theory. It is frustrating at first but once it clicks it can be used in many applications.

• Sherry
    Sherry

Your townhouse looks exactly like one I used to own; are you by chance in Duncansville, PA?

• Lgi27611956
      Lgi27611956

It’s indicated near the beginning that the location is Middletown, PA.

• Mary DiGiallonardo
    Mary DiGiallonardo

I thought the backboard look was a cool idea! However, I'm a freak about dust and spiders! In the top fold how do you keep the dust from collecting in the blinds? I know some are going to say dust but I hate to dust every day though I still have to do it. Spiders; OMGosh!!!! I'm deathly afraid of them! Doesn't matter what size! How can you prevent them from building any webs or coming crawling into the blind?

• Vicki
      Vicki

Mary, you're so cute with your comments. Reminds me of my grandson...I get a kick out of him too. White vinegar works too. No critter likes the scent including alot of humans! But if all else fails, I can bring over grandson and you can freak out together. Who knows, just might make you laugh so hard, it'll cure ya!