DIY Farmhouse Style Outdoor Pillow Covers - Drop Cloth & Burlap

$40

Make DIY Outdoor Pillow Covers in a farmhouse style using drop cloths and burlap with this easy tutorial for an envelope pillowcase.
I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to look for outdoor pillows that have a farmhouse style, but let me tell you it’s almost impossible! Most of the outdoor pillows have lots of patterns and colors. Those aren’t bad, but they aren’t exactly the look I was going for. 

Ultimately, I decided that I could totally make my own! It’s so easy – this would be a great first sewing project or a project to do with the kids

I grabbed some drop cloth from the hardware store (you know how much I love using  drop cloth as a fabric) and some burlap and got started!

Here’s a video of the whole process and you can find all the details below:
Cut the front piece of your pillow sham to match the measurements of your pillow. Don’t add any extra room for seam allowance because you want the pillowcase to be snug.

For the envelope back, I needed to do some math. I took half of my pillow measurement and added 2”. My pillows are 18 3/4”, so half of that is about 9 1/4”. If I add 2”, it is 11 1/4”.

So, I cut two back pieces that were 11 1/4” x 18 3/4”.
I used the edge of the drop cloth fabric to make it easy. If you don’t have a pretty edge, just fold over the 18 3’4” edge, press it, and sew down to make sure the pillow won’t fray.
I trimmed my corners to reduce fabric bulk in the corner. 
Then I turned the pillow case inside out. I used a ballpoint pen cap to get a sharp corner, but you could also use a wooden dowel or even some scissors if you’re very careful.
Then because I wanted these shams to go outside, I sprayed them with ScotchGuard to make them water resistant (although I will still bring them inside when they’re not in use). When they dried completely, I put my pillow inserts inside the shams. I love these pillows! They’re the perfect style, but they will also be functional and durable.
See more detailed instructions and lots more DIY project on the blog - Our Handcrafted Life.

Megan Harney | Our Handcrafted Life

• Beckie

Love your pillows! But I am really dying to know where you found your buckets hanging in the background!?!? Looking for these everywhere without any luck! Thanks!

• Daisy@TX

Beckie you can also find them at Tractor Supply and farm feed stores. Good Luck!

• Mcgypsy9

I love drop cloths for many things but I do have a concern. When it rains, how long does it take for those to dry? It seems to me like they would take forever to dry.

• Mcgypsy9

It rains a lot here in NC and you never know when, even if it’s not suppose to rain, it does. I’ve had cushions on my front porch that should never get wet but they do get soaked at times. You go to bed and when you get up everything is soaked. It doesn’t take too long for them to dry if I set them on end because they are made for outdoors. I might make a drop cloth pillow just to see how it does with the rain here.