Cheap cleaner for washing machine smell

+10
you can buy a box to add for dishwasher or washing machine, but so expensive, any ideas

• Marianne Pavelo Marianne Pavelo on May 25, 2018
    1/2 cup of baking soda and 1 cup vinegar with a small load setting of hot water.
  • Linda Linda on May 25, 2018
    White vinegar. Run your cycle or clean cycle with two cups. Link attached also adds baking soda. I have done both ways it works. Hope this helps
  • Mkl Mkl on May 26, 2018
    I would go with the white vinegar.
  • Elaine Roebuck Elaine Roebuck on May 26, 2018
    Once you get your washer clea, leave the door open after each load so it can dry out inside. That will prevent smells.
    • Reba Klockgether Reba Klockgether on May 26, 2018
      Is it a front loader? Inherited one when bought my house. Smell was horrible! Check your manual. May need a clean out of one receptacle. We found liquid mold. Took all day to remove. Sellers never clean this area.
  • Elaine Phillips Elaine Phillips on May 26, 2018
    After finishing the laundry, leave the door open so the inside will air dry. Works for me.
  • Anne Wingate Anne Wingate on May 26, 2018
    Run it through a full cycle with vinegar.
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on May 26, 2018
    When I got my new front load washer, the delivery man told me he uses powered Tang (yes the astronauts drink) in his washer once a month. He said to run it on the tub clean cycle. I keep the door open when the washer isn't being used and don't have a problem. I've never tried the Tang, but I guess it's worth a try.
    Front loaders have a rubber “flap” around the opening that gets grungy inside.
  • Leanne Bellamy-Murphy Leanne Bellamy-Murphy on May 26, 2018
    I put 1/2 cup of borax in my front loader with my towels once a month, keeps the machine nice and clean.
  • Lana Hassell Lana Hassell on May 26, 2018
    The smell usually comes from under the rubber flap around the inside of the door if the machine is a front loading one. If that isn't cleaned, all the other cleansers in the washer full of water probably won't help much.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on May 27, 2018
    I use vinegar in every load instead of fabric softener, and leave the door open when I'm done. I've never had a problem with smell.
  • Lana Hassell Lana Hassell on May 27, 2018
    I misstated that placement of the rubber flap; the flap is in the opening of the machine itself. If you lift it up, you will see what I am talking about. Yukkie.